National 12 - find out more...

Spinnaker Invitation Weekend

Started by Ian Stables, 14 May 2009, 11:23

« previous - next »

Ian Stables

Advance notice of a Weekend not to be missed!

Saturday 20th June - Coaching Day.  We have an enthusiastic and expanding 12 fleet and this promises to be a well attended day with a chance to hone those Inland sailing skills. 10am rigged and ready to sail.

Saturday 20 June - BBQ at Spinnaker.   A chance to stoke the boilers after a hard day’s sailing. Start soon after sailing is finished; with good food, lots to drink and 12 chat long into the evening!

Sunday 21 June - Invitation Day.  This replaces our normal open meeting but gives an opportunity to put into practice all that was learned the previous day. We’ve already promises of attendance from other clubs and it will be a fantastic display of N12 sailing. First race at 11:00, with two more to follow after lunch. Full catering available at the club.

All are welcome and we hope a good number will make a weekend of it. The New Forest really is a great place to spend the weekend, there are plenty of really good B&B's, Pubs or Campsites locally and as well as the BBQ on Saturday evening we will have full catering available on the Sunday - so no need to cook at all!

It would be helpful to know who is planning on attending and for which parts of the weekend, if you have any questions or need more info please either post here or email N12s@spinnakerclub.co.uk
Look forward to seeing you at Spinnaker
Ian<br />N3520 (Ex N3404)

tonyelgar

I am keen to come along, missed the last one due to being commited to a course (so much sailing- so little time!). I ve already pencilled it into the diary. Is there any provision for accomodation or is it find urself something? and are there any other costs?
cheers
tony
ex 2760/3255

Ian Stables

Hi Tony

We have not booked any accomodation, there are plenty of options locally but if you get stuck please let me know and I will see what we can sort out.

Thre is no charge for the Saturday coaching sessions, our club catering and bar prices are very good value and the only other costs for the weekend will be a small contribution toward the cost of the food for the BBQ on Saturday evening, plus a modest open meeting fee for the racing on Sunday. 

See you on the 20th.

Nick Rogers

I'll be there. If current crew proves reluctant to race (not brave or foolish enough yet) I will gladly take volunteers.  Will there be a "novice helm" award for us new N12 owners? 
Nick

MikeDay

Ian

Re Sunday 21st, we're showing in the 12 calendar that this is counting as your open meeting for the purposes of the Thames Area and I assume you'll be awarding the Spinnaker open meeting trophy to the winner.  It's been made clear that we'll be sharing the water with normal club activities that day.  Anne, Flipside and I will be there for the Sunday, though not the Saturday as big Henry VIII celebrations at Hampton Court that day.

Mike D
N3496

Ian Stables

Hi Mike

Although we are sharing the water with other classes we will have our own starts and the three races will constitute our Open meeting. Trophy for the winner, plus awards for AC, Vintage and novice (Nick please note) too!

It's a shame you can't make the Saturday, but looking forward to seeing you on the 21st.

Ian Stables

STOP PRESS

Graham Camm has kindly agreed to lead our coaching session on Saturday 20th June, Graham needs no introduction and this really is an opportunity not to be missed.

See you all on the 20th.

emzcrusader

Hi Ian, and all the Spinnaker 12 sailors.  I do hope it's not windy on your special weekend.  Seriously though, it looks great and I'm sure 3379 will be involved.
Phil (Solo sailor who actually went sailing today   ;D)

Phil Brown

Yes Phil, but they sail much better with the metal over the plastic!

;-)
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

emzcrusader

Ah - 'tis a good and wise point you make Mr Brown.   :B 

emzcrusader

Will there be scope in the training day to look at rig set up?   I have started to have a proper look at the Crusader now and guess what happens when rig tension comes on.... The mast bends forward.  Is this called post-bend??:o;)
I have some spreader dimensions and i'll try those out tomorrow.  However, we also noted that the mast was very upright.  I have the base at 2500mm from the transom - does this sound right?

Phil
Sponsor of N3379 

Louisa

Hello
I have got this weekend in my calendar and would much like to crew for any crew-less helm, but, won't be able to say for sure if I can come until the week before 20 June.  I'm around until 6 June then away until 14 June - dinghy sailing in Vassiliki, Greece - it's a hard life...
Louisa Mamakou
Isle of Wight tel 01983 562702

Ian Stables

Quote from: 595Will there be scope in the training day to look at rig set up?   I have started to have a proper look at the Crusader now and guess what happens when rig tension comes on.... The mast bends forward.  Is this called post-bend??:o;)
I have some spreader dimensions and i'll try those out tomorrow.  However, we also noted that the mast was very upright.  I have the base at 2500mm from the transom - does this sound right?

Phil
Sponsor of N3379 

Hi Phil
We should have plenty of time to look at rig set up, I would suggest there are a couple of things to check first...  1) Check the mast is straight and 2) that it is sitting on the aft end of the tenon, this puts the rear wall of the section into compression when rig tension is applied, result - no more post bend.

thedodger

...and I always thought PMT was something other than pre mast tension

emzcrusader

Quote from: 506
Hi Phil
We should have plenty of time to look at rig set up, I would suggest there are a couple of things to check first...  1) Check the mast is straight and 2) that it is sitting on the aft end of the tenon, this puts the rear wall of the section into compression when rig tension is applied, result - no more post bend.

Cheers Ian,
Mast foot trimmed, it was sitting on the front. Jib musclebox rebuilt (that was fun!) and a small bucket of rake added.  No more forward pointing burgee.  Watch her go!8)

P

n12 Bottom Banner