National 12 - find out more...

European Event

Started by Chris Day, 08 Jul 2012, 09:21

« previous - next »

Chris Day

Hi everyone, 

The NTOA has been approached about a potential open meeting in Europe to be held jointly with other classes. Carnac in France in May 2014 was suggested as a possible venue.An overseas event has been talked about before and I think this would be something we'd be keen to do.

Please could you reply to this post if you would consider attending so we can gauge interest.

To give you an idea, here is some of the details I've been given:
- Entry is likely to be around â,¬150 for a 4 day event including a dinner - extra socials can be negotiated.
- Should only require 1 or 2 days holiday depending on where people were based.
- For those that haven't been it's a really nice club with lots of space, sheltered launching into the harbour, good sailing area and a nice tourist town with loads for shore party and good wining / dining options. It's also only 7 hours from Calais, 4 1/2 from Le Havre or 2 hours from Brest so relatively easy to get to.

This all sounds good to me, so let me know what you think. (N.B. following the discussion at the AGM we're looking at running Burton Weekend 2014 in August anyway, so there wouldn't be a clash).

Cheers,

Chris

Biniou

Hi Chris!
That's a great idea! I am ready about.
Cheers,

JML

beachedblastit

Yes! Yes! And yes again. Marvellous idea. Invite the Greek N12 guys and girls and any other Eurropean N12'ers. Have a European Champs?. Have it in Greece? Sorry got carried away, but it's a thought.
Nigel (2134 & 2901)
I'd rather be sailing.  

Kevin

clarksimon

why wait next year please 
SIMON N3413 N3375

Biniou

When National 12 will come for the European event of may 2014 in Carnac, why dont they come before, or after, for a regatta in the BNO? They could also leave their boat there and visit Paris.8)

Biniou

The reason to wait one year is just to let me time to become the best (today it is not the case)!8)

...and to cut my 2 meters wings to 1,50 m.

Alex D

That sounds like a great idea.
Is my understanding of the RCD requirements for customs and travel correct. i.e. less than 2.5m boat length is exempt.
What documents would be needed?

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/regssafety/Pages/recreationalcraftdirective.aspx
... also a european spec trailer would be needed.
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

Red Hot Pudding

I'd certainly be interested.
Ian

tom lee

Could be interested. 
Alex, racing boats are exempt from the recreational craft directive. Never heard of needing a different trailer for the continent
Tom
N12 3268
Tom<br />N3545

Guest (Guest)

Ref. RCD, boats intended for racing are exempt.  The RYA supply appropriate stickers.  Whether the French take any notice is unknown.  RCD is same in UK as in EEA (Europe).  Trailers might be a different issue, and don't forget your triangle, ref;ective waiscoat, spare bulbs and a breathalyser!

Alex D

I asked the RCD question to clarify what we needed to do to show we are exempt. I know the Musto Skiffs have a type approval document, user manual and CE marks to point at to make travel less painful. Stickers sound good.

It would be goog to clear up any trailer issus with the lighting and reflector requirements. Fore newer trailers some type approval changes are being phased in over the next couple of years. I'm sure someone will have a checklist. I ask because I don't know :)
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

Biniou

Ask also trailers builders (WestMersea is well known out of UK).
Let's think to Quiberon's bay: Not too big waves, not too many streams, soft sun and nice breezes . Famous place: one sea-health centre in Quiberon, one sea-health centre in Carnac, another in Le Crouesty.8)

Chris Day

A web page has been setup with some more info on the potential European event at Carnac. You can also register your interest on the site...

http://www.paladin-systems.co.uk/carnac/carnac.htm

Tom J (Guest)

There is now a facebook event page set up to save me posting updates in multiple places until a website for the event has been finished, and of course to help spread the word:

http://www.facebook.com/events/247763682025794/

n12 Bottom Banner