National 12 - find out more...

Wayfarers didn't like our boats - report from Y&Y

Started by THG, 28 Sep 2006, 10:42

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

They still have the original on their website, so I wrote to them.

"Sirs!
The remarks regarding the National 12 boats in the report of the Starcross meeting by the race secretary can only be considered not to further the "entent cordiale" between the two classes, nor can it reflect well on the Wayfareer. Hardly fair? The remarks have been removed from the latest version on Y&Y but still persist on this website. Might I suggest that the article be similarly edited on this website?  

Thanks,

Jim Bretherick, N3130 National 12 sailor and prowd of it!"

John Meadowcroft

Most amusing.

I had to get the 12s at Henley report on Y&Y edited earlier this week after I sent  the wrong version.  The 12 website version is unedited.  Can you spot the difference?

I would not worry about one sad individual wayfarer sailor.  I am sure anyone who reads it would cringe.

john

:) (Guest)

Not overreacting Jim, just enjoying a cathartic hatchet job ;)  having had to sail against this guy in the handicap fleet over the last few years...  He's of the shout made up rules at beginners and luff the leaders of the fleet behing school of club sailors - gets on my wick to have to be polite to such people week in week out at the club...... ::)

mark533

[quote by=JimC (Guest) link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool,m=1159436561,s=13 date=1159491369]Grief guys, don't you think you're over-reacting? Everyone can't like the same shape boats...

[says the man who's currently sailing a bizarre knitting needle with a point at each end, presumably because the designer couldn't work out which way the boat should go...][/quote]

Well said Jim

icecreamman

I must admit that I am quite happy sailing my squashed egg box

janeysailor12

Yeeeees as you said it's horses for courses.  We met a guy down at Rock (Cornwall) who has a 12 and loved our Crusader, but he now sails a B14......WHAT A BOAT!!!!!!  We took it out...loved it and we are getting one.  We will keep the 12 ( I love her too much to part) but the B14 IS awsome.  BTW I learned to sail in a wayfarer and for a while it was all I ever wanted.....after buying a 12 (about 5 years ago) and meeting my Partner Mike (who's sailed 12's and Merlins for 40+ years) The 12 was the ONLY boat for me.  And still is to some extent, but the buzz of the B14 is something I can't live without now!

Janey

Jimbo42

Hey icecreamman!

If they made a B14 look like squashed eggbox, would you want one?

Janey - you two-timer!   ;)

Jim N3130 (at hombe bith da Flu) :B

icecreamman

To be honest Jim no I would not, but I was merely quoting the Aircraft Carriers' way of describing our boats. At least we know ours look like boats and do not have attachments for tents
 ;D ;D ;D

icecreamman

Another point Jim as we are on the subject of boats that do not look like boats. There was an episode of Top Gear a couple of months ago (I guess you will have missed it) where the team had to dress their cars up and make them get across part of Rudyard Lake. If you saw it you will understand what I mean about the similarity between the Top Gear attempts to make cars that will work on water and a Wayfarer. If you did not, well Clarksons 4x4 sank, Hamsters immensely overweight dormobile sank and Captain Slow won with a Triumph Herald with a Mirror rig on it. There must be some sort of moral in there and I think it is we sail boats that are actually boats and Wayfarers ...... well I will leave that to your imagination.
 ::)

icecreamman

yeah at least Longboats are boat shaped

:D

janeysailor12

I used to be a member of Rudyard Lake Sailing Club!!  so I ws intrigued to see the Top Gear Show.  Actually Captain slow's boat was better than some of the boats there!!!

LOL

Janey

janeysailor12

..................but in answer to you question Jimbo.  N 12 's, are not egg box shaped as far as I can see. Egg Boxes are Egg box shaped.  I find it hard to imagine why N12's were compared to that!  I do get a bit het up about people "dissing" other boats. A boat is a boat and whether you're the owner of a Cornish Shrimper, a GP14 a Wayfarer a N12 or a B14 or any other boat for that matter YOUR boat is always going to be the "best".  All boats have something unique to offer to their owners, that's what makes the sport so interesting and vaired.  We in the deveopment classes think we are the elite, where as the one designers probably feel the same!  I'm happy to hop in any model of boat and have a go, then give my judgement based on the way I feel and the way the boat feels when I sail it.  And the B14 certainly did'nt feel like an aircraft carrier, felt more like a bloomin Ferrari.....which is why I'm gettin one!!!!
Janey

BrianWhitmey

Had a chat with the 5th place wayfarer guys when they came back from Starcross - they were nothing but complimentary about the 12s they saw (up till then their exposure to 12s was my old boat) and the folk they met.

Personally, a Waybarge isn't for me, but i must say a well sailed one is pretty quick round the track. I got thrashed out of sight by these guys on Saturday and nearly always have good races with them in the absence of other 12s (Stop press - Bough Beech fleet doubled! Wide Blue Yonder is now up here!!). I'm sure they'd be interested in sailing a 12 if they could - unfortunately Mike "heave my belly over the side when it's windy" Bryant just wouldn't fit on his own, let alone with his skipper!

W/F fleet is quality at the front end as well - a certain Mike Macnamara doesn't get it all his own way up there - obviously the time he spent in twelves has only served to help him sail these battleships faster.

I'll be race officering the Bough Beech Wayfarer Open next month - anyone with an ego over bruised by all the prejudiced waffle on the Wayfarer site can send a tenner witha suggestion of how the 12s can get their revenge and I'll be sure to act on it.

n12 Bottom Banner