National 12 - find out more...

Wayfarers didn't like our boats - report from Y&Y

Started by THG, 28 Sep 2006, 10:42

« previous - next »

Emma (Guest)

Wow just read that myself :o

Cannot believe that they think that, I have only been sailing dinghies since 04 and we have a wayfarer at our club and have never really looked twice at them, I think they make good cruising boats for pottering around mounts bay in and floating tents I believe. I have never been in a wayfarer - not planning on it but since we have had our national 12 we (i can vouch for james too) have never looked back, you get so much fun out them and no worries about peski spinnakers and ok I have at times thought I could have done with pampers nappies but the national 12 should never be knocked and is definately under estimated.

As we are learning more and more about the boat, sailing N12's  just keeps getting better!!!

Since Burton Week, although we didnt sail all races, we have come back and are starting to get in front of people we were always behind and beating them over the water and on handicap, they even thought we were trying to rig the results!!! on that note it goes to show how much going away to the 12 events can really help. Would be excellent to get the south west series up, running and healthy. James and I will certainly be attending SW series and N12 events - hoping to make it to Graftham - will feel like Lands and to John o'Groats - literally :P.

Emma ;D
(& James)
N3304 & N3402

Jimbo41

Hi Emma and Kean!

Do you have the online link to the Y&Y report?

Jim N3130 (I want to find the chink in their armour to stick the knife in and twist a little.... ;D)

Jimbo41

Thanks Emma,

Seen the article. In my opinion the remark was totally gratuitous and unfounded. As for bragging about how much people drank, drink is like s*x and money - if you don't have enough, you talk about it....Now for the knife  ;D

It would seem that not many people want to attend their nationals - only 23 boats the past two years. I'm not surprised - who would be seen dead in an oversized ironing board (or bored???)  :P :P :P :P.

Jim N3130 (The crew of an Admiral's cupper, once succumed to a Wayfairer's desire. He said it's a sin, but now that I'm in (the boat), could you point her a few degrees higher? )  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

John Murrell (Guest)

Look at who wrote the report and then remember that this is a similar name (if not the same!) as someone who sold a Merlin because it was too exciting and returned to his 'competitive' Wayfarer! I suupose the saving grace for a Wayfarer is that they are perportedly lighter than a GP14!

And as to how much they drank - lightweights!!

Emma (Guest)

I think it is because we had better prizes than them and definately have more fun ;D

like Jim said they had a dreadful turn out for their nationals - blimey what a miserable bunch  :( :(

James and I were T-boned by a wayfarer once in our old merlin was like being hit by an aircraft carrier the great lumpy things!!!

National twelves - Tiny but mighty - thats what I say

Emma
N3304 n N3402

Jane Wade

I think you will find the comments have now been removed...

Jane

icecreamman

Well it would appear that the rest of us have a similar feelings on the subject of Wayfarers. I mean who would want to try and race one of those things that came out of the ark, or more likely from Swallows and Amazons. Fantastic if you are Arnold Sshwarzenegggggg whatever his name is when you come to dragging the beast out of the water but absolutely useless for anything else.

Disgruntled from Chipping Norton

philipcosson

My boat history is as follows:

No boat [1966-2003]
Lark (not in class - small mast, no spinnaker) [2003-4]
Wanderer [2005]
N12 [2006]

The wanderer is a smaller, lighter, wayfarer. We did the "swallows and amazon's" thing in the wanderer - sailing all 4 of us to peel island on coniston, we also had 6 in on one occasion. This is what it is good for. I never got a positive comment about the look of the wanderer, or the look of respect (underserved in my case) I often get when the N12 is seen or mentioned.

I think the Lark was a good boat, but the old ones are *very* fragile (being made of very thin GRP) and not good value for money. I had two hulls in the two seasons!

I've begun to learn a little bit about sailing since I got the N12 ;-)

Philip
N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

Emma G

for those of you who didnt see it on Y&Y before they took it off

www.wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?id=25&cmd=news

Emma  :)

N3304 n N3402

James Taylor

For those of you who either do not believe or have not  seen a wayfarer.
The wayfarer class offers a boat tent for hire, and people go racing in these boats !!!!!! :'( :'(

See link below if you go not believe that these are the people who didn't want to camp at Starcross because of the noise, they could have sailed up the river and camped and then sail back down for the race oopps they would have already raced.  ( race to take down the tent and sail / race back to the yacht club)

http://www.wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?id=16&cmd=page

James
3304 & 3402

N12 Rules (We were the development of all)

:) (Guest)

Yeah, the author is a local blowhard who has a real chip on his shoulders about 12s - wrote a bit about 12s not being 'proper boats' on the club website a while back (methinks he omitted the word 'fishing'...).  

Probably suffering from a hurt ego as if you're 'racing' a wayfarer and you're under a 60 and not in your first year of sailing you might as well be walking around with a big sign 'No Ability Whatsoever' above your head......   ;D  As John mentioned he regularly buys other classes (merlin, RS400 and Hornet at the last count) and quite comprehensively proves his lack of ability before hurriedly selling them and telling everybody that the boat wasn't set up right......................  :P

JimC (Guest)

Grief guys, don't you think you're over-reacting? Everyone can't like the same shape boats...

[says the man who's currently sailing a bizarre knitting needle with a point at each end, presumably because the designer couldn't work out which way the boat should go...]

RogerBrisley

Ooooh raw nerves!

Don't be so sensitive,  it s horses for  courses about what boat you buy /sail. and hopefully each has its own desirable features.

Ive owned 2 wanderers (20 years apart), a GP14 duffin top of the shop, 2 lasers 16 years apart and two national 12 in the last three years.

I bought my first wanderer at the boat show 1981 principally to "cruise" having raced folkboats as a child.  got bored v quickly with this but trained up "the boss" v quickly and purchased a new GP 14 to race.  This was even heavier than previous boat,  and frankly not as pretty (wanderers are pretty). I preferred the w to the gp.  Boss went off to do other things so lasered and sailboarded for a bit.  Then bought wanderer #2 to teach daughter to sail,  moved on to 12 and an old laser.

I have sailed wayfarers occasionally (they must be heavier than a GPby 33%).they just feel Bigger similar to an albacore.

I wanted to give my first 12 away as it was" a little different" to previous bateaux but having persvered love em to bits.  

But point is people are all individual and buy boats for different reasons,  and despite what you may think may be very able and quick sailors.  Ask the meadowcrofts!

And despite our  N12) obvious merit at the bar stakes we're probably little different to other classes.

Roger

n12 Bottom Banner