National 12 - find out more...

Vintage Boats at the Burton

Started by Chadders, 10 Dec 2008, 02:13

« previous - next »

Chadders

A combination of the revised format for the Burton in 2009 coupled with the performances of Richard White, Paul Turner and especially Tim Gatti at last years champs seems to have sparked major interest amongst vintage (and Northern) boats for Thorpe Bay next May.
So far I have firm indications from at least 7 vintage boats that they intend to go and some have already booked accommodation!  Others are thinking about it and at least two vintage owners in the North are coming but currently need to be persuaded to switch from more modern craft into their proper boats. 
For the avoidance of doubt the term vintage refers to clinker built boats (ribbed or glued) and not necessarily to the age of the helms!
Please feel free to add to this post if you are coming to join us.  A Burton website should soon be linked to the class website so please look out for it.
Howard Chadwick    Vintage Wing Representative (a.k.a. Chadders)
N2, N2266, N2769 and N3356  8)

paul turner

Greetings Chadders! I have already booked accomodation (and crew!) for the 2009 Burton with the intention of taking one of my three vintage yots, as long as we can muster a reasonable fleet - otherwise I might just be taking a FINAL CHAPTER:o I may even have one to lend out to a suitably competent helm! Paul N2020, N2359, N2487, N3157:K)

Roly Mo

Team Rolymo will be there, probably with Roly rather than Xanthus but we will see . . . .  
RM

Tim Gatti

I have every intention of sailing in next year's Burton Event in a fully repaired and sea-worthy Proctor Mk12. It's very pleasing to hear that I won't be the only vintage boat competing in the whole event in 2009 - the more the merrier. Let's see if we can't double the current count of seven probables and keep Paul out of his threatened Final Chapter. Tim. (N341, N493, N711, N2255 and N3227 - not that I'm counting or anything!)

Richard

Paul Mr. Jones will be there with Emily and myself. I've booked B+B..........:)

JonathanReubin

N443 or N1719 will stroll on down.  I will commute! If someone wants to borrow one then shout.

Roly Mo

With all these self swamping boats attending it's to be hoped TBYC are planning to buy some big buckets for the safety boats!
RM

Kevin

No need for buckets - the tide goes right out leaving the race area high and dry so you will be able to walk out and collect the boats at low water!

Kevin

Roly Mo

Oh no, memories of people walking the courses at low tide in Norfolk spring to mind . . . .

Derek

...isn't there something about depth as well as distance in the Burton deed of gift.....
But then I do remember touching the bottom on the start line at Whitstable and nobody seemed all that bothered.

paul turner

So girls and boys - the scores so far after less than two days are:
Yes vintage - Gattiman, Messrs White & Jones and Jonathon = 3
Going to the Burton, probable vintage - Chadders, et moi = 2 (actually it's Kevan's FC I was going to borrow centremain and all!)
Possible/maybe - Roly Mo = 1 :-/
Offers of vintage boats to borrow = 2
And we still haven't heard from some of the usual suspects! 8)

Chadders

Almost up to date Paul, add in Brian Herring if he can re-schedule his big wedding anniversary (braver man than I), Vince Philips who after a bevy or too on Saturday was very positive, and Ed Willett who is I understand very tempted despite the distance from Scotland.  Surely Brian Kitching could be tempted out in his Chimp if we try really hard since at this rate we could outnumber the DB boats!  Ah well back to some more marketing.;D
Oh and as vintage rep person having won a new jib it will definately be vintage for me too rather than a probable (N2266)8)

angus

Would love to come but the odds looked stacked against it. She who dosen't get her feet wet still hasn't forgiven me for grafham, In scotland only the banks go on holiday and they are different anyway, But if I did mange to make it I would love to take up one of those vintage boats on offer.... If nay one was daft enought to lend one to me!
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

jeremyf

Probably a daft question - but be gentle with me as a newbie.
Is 2760 old enough to be a 'Vintage' ?? or would I have to compete with all the hot shots and be anhialated ??
If not Vintage, is there anything to give 'middle aged' a fighting chance ?

tonyelgar

2760 is a four plank, not a vintage - which are clinker. Four planks come under admirals cup, although there were some 4 plank specific opens last year i believe. Im planning on getting my baggy down there, so im sure you won't be a lone soul, only I happen to have taken it to bits again, found some alarming problems that need some sorting so its a tart up and paint job along the way too... 
ex 2760/3255

n12 Bottom Banner