National 12 - find out more...

Vintage Boats at the Burton

Started by Chadders, 10 Dec 2008, 02:13

« previous - next »

geoff fardell

It looks as though the Vintage are on a roll. I am hoping to bring N2301 along with the Dorset invasion from Spinnaker Club. Confirmation will need to wait until January but I will consider it a disaster if we are not there.

jeremyf

Hi Tony,
Thanks - but banned anyhow. Lesley point Blank refuses to enter the County - she served a lot in the area when in the RAF  and made it clear it will be a cold day in hell before she will go near. Year after maybe ?
Grimalkin nearly became a 67 planker on sunday as the Avon suddenly leaped out of its banks and into the dinghy compound !  Just about got her out in time, now safely in the garage drying out. Will post pictures if I can get them of my Blackberry

Tim Gatti

Hi Geoff - looks like we will have two Proctor Mk 12's down there then . Look forward to seeing you there - unless disaster strikes. Tim (N2255)

tonyelgar

jeremy, glad u saved her from a grim fate (i don't think you could have classified for vintage even after such a 'modification'!!) i look forward to the pictures with interest. Sounds like the vintages are going to have a serious bit of fleet racing, if all else fails with the baggy I could always borrow back a vintage i once owned which is still I believe residing in essex somewhere (N2439) although my friend who now owns her is living in anglessey!!
ex 2760/3255

thedodger

I think Geoff and Emily will be there from Spinnaker with a vintage 12, will leave Geoff to fill in the gaps

chalky

I don't think we will be at Thorpe Bay with Bobtail. Far too much work to be done still, including fitting a new transom, which is quite a different shape to Rising Damp (with which  we will be supporting the AC fleet).

paul turner (Guest)

Angus, I am reliably advised by "Chadders of the Vintage" that you are a reasonably experienced yotter and would be absolutely categorically and totally unlikely to damage my cherished yot Starfish N2020 and so she is available to you for the Burton 2009; you will have to collect her (she will be on a trailer!) from J25 M1 (A52 Nottingham/Derby) on your piligrimage from the far north and deliver back! Fret thee not - she not have the appalling 1969 BB sails like what I used at this year's Burton (where the bouyancy was fully tested on the sea!) - those have been cut down by Kevan to make a fine set of training sails for one of the TVSC Otters! RSVP Paul 8)

JonathanReubin

What will be done about measurement certificates for the vintagers.  Neither of my boats have certificates, copies not available from RYA archives as they were lost in the great fire. Do I really need to prove these steel plated hernia agravating boats are not underweight and the 50 year old sails are kosher?  If the measurers scales break while hauling them up will I have to pay compensation? Will the measurer like to borrow my estate agents elastic tape?  I know one boat doesn't measure because it has 1/8" thick oak nameplate screwed to the transom thereby increasing oa length which must give her a huge advantage over the latest plastic fantastics.

Guidance please, Chadders.

angus

Thats ecellent Paul, I will be intouch directly early in the new year.:)
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Tim Gatti

Hi Jonathan - re measurement of vintage 12's without certificates.  As you're aware, under the rules, any 12 participating in Class events should have a valid certificate, which includes the owner's buoyancy test validation.  I had N341 weighed and measured as she had no certificate when I took her over.  At last year's Burton all boats, including my Vintage Mk 12, were weighed at the beginning of the week (lots of helpers and a strong gantry were available), as were their masts and details of centreboard weight.  Uncertain what happened to those who only entered for the Burton Race though as they weren't there earlier in the week. Not sure what the official posn is on old certificates that were lost in the 'great fire' - might be worth having a word with Kevan Bloor - if you haven't already been in touch.  I'm sure Howard will have some words of wisdom to say on the subject. Tim

Chadders

Jonathan Tim is 100% correct in his answer, we will all need valid certificates and must measure etc.  Kevan is indeed the correct starting point for a replacement certificate and he has a lot of information on file so he should be the first call.  You mentioned the great fire, was it the great fire of London, I thought the 12 only came out in 1936!  I too will be surprised if we are under weight and I am sure your oak nameplate could be considered as a rudder fitting at a pinch so dont panic too much!8)

paul turner (Guest)

Greetings Boys & Girls! The gauntlett is now thrown down to all you vintage yotters! I have now booked the hotel and Christine to crew for me, and have entered for the Burton 4 Days - fully paid up (entry #1) to sail Dolly Daydream N2487 at Thorpe Bay. Plus Kevan has promised me a new set of Alverbank sails - so be afraid!
A Happy, and fun sailing, New Year to you all! Px :K)

scrummydoo

Ive just got my paws on Fortune N802, when I get it sea worthy it needs two planks replacing if anyone can help,,, will that be ok for entering vintage class meets?

Chadders

You and Fortune will be most welcome at all vintage events and at Burton, I have now sorted a crew and will be booking accomodation so hope to see you at Thorpe Bay.  Welcome to the fleet, hope to see you on the water soon. Howard C (AKA Chadders) 
PS Vince and family are sorted with accomodation and baby sitting facilities too so that's a 7 planked whisper on the list too!

Chadders

Decided to re-start my winter refurb of Triarda today after clearing the snow off Squidgy Bits, My launching trolley now has a low profile support for faster launching and I found an old excercise bike behind the Paperdart in the shed so the fitness campaign has also started, if you don't hear of any heart attacks be afraid Mr Turner!  I also checked my weight so it's diet time as well.  Seems like I have a lot to do but I have paid my entry and being a tight Yorkshireman I am not about to waste it so the campaign is on!

n12 Bottom Banner