National 12 - find out more...

boat cover & sails for N3050

Started by marek, 14 Jul 2009, 03:58

« previous - next »

marek

Hi
Just purchased N3050 (though it was advertised as N2985?!) - I'm looking for a used dinghy cover (not too far gone) and a mast (seems they can't find it in the shed at Ranelagh ) - I have a set of relatively good Alverbanks and a proctor ali boom
Also - anybody got any ideas on removing fibreglass tape from the side decks (cured) - been trying to sand it off, but it's a b*gger of a job - heat gun? as I want to get it back to wood
cheers
marek
(ex N2747 and N2969)

Tim Gatti

Marek
If it's been put on with polyester resin then a hot air gun will soften the resin enough to enable you to peel off the glass tape.  But if it's been put on with epoxy resin then I'm afraid that sanding/grinding it off is the only option.  And you are right in saying it is a b****er of a job. 
Tim

marek

Tim
Cheers for that - don't know yet about the type of resin, so I'll keep on sanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - keeps me out of mischief!
marek

johncheetham

Marek...dont think its N3050 as that was last seen hanging in my garage roof.....yep just checked its still there!

Tim Gatti

Oh dear - looks like you've got a forgery there Marek - but look on the bright side - maybe when you've stripped off all the glass tape there'll be a masterpiece underneath.
It's really worth trying a section with a hot air gun - if it is polyester resin you'll find the stuff strips off very easily and the job will be a lot quicker and much less dusty.  Warm the tape - lift up an edge, grip with an old pair of pliers, warm the tape again and it will gradually peel away.  Don't get it too hot though or you'll burn the wood underneath.
If it doesn't soften then you are dealing with epoxy and it's back to the sander. Tim

marek

John
Strange but on the thwart it has 3050 - so therefore Chris Edwards at Ranelagh was right - it is 2985 Raffles Pipedream
Tim - on a positive note - I managed to lift abit of the glass tape and then held it over the gas cooker flame - it softened!!!! - so it's now the hot airgun method
cheers
Marek

Chadders

Could it be 3070??   This boat was called Raffles 2 and was built by Donald Acklam for my brother Bill Chadwick and it is a Pipedream!  If you email a picture of the interior to hchadwick2@talktalk.net I may be able to identify it if it is a Donald built boat or at least confirm if it is not one of his as he built several including two for me.  3050 is definately John Cheethams Windfall I have followed it many times!  Howard C

marek

Chadders
shall do when it isn't raining - I'm currently stripping it, so it'll look a mess!! - that said - it has a little blue plaque on the transom - can't read it yet untill I've cleaned it, also the thwarts have a longitudinal slot in them - hope this helps
Marek

marek

Chadders
It is 3070!! - will take photos showing restoration - was badly abused by previous owner - badly painted with normal gloss paint etc etc etc .....
At least I now know that her mast exists - saw it in the shed 3070, but was looking for 2985 (on the sails)
marek

Chadders

The little blue label should be engraved with Acklam Marine and the lettering was filled in white originally.  Donald built about 14 N12's  but never professionally,  He built 2 Pipedreams and a Crusader for me and I did the labouring jobs, some boats he registered as Chadwick/Acklam built when he got concerned that he may be considered as a professional builder due the high number that he produced.  He also restored dozens of boats including my current Starfish and he re-decked N2 for me and his last job was refurbishing Gnasher 3109 for Tim Gatti and passing on many of his skills to Tim.  If you want to see what a refurbished Acklam Pipedream can look like check out 3109 via the boat database you will be impressed I promise!  Raffles 2 was built for Bill Chadwick then went to Yorkshire Ouse where she was owned and sailed by Brian Johnson, she then came back to Yeadon Sailing club for a while before dissapearing again.  Hope that helps and glad to hear that you now have a mast.  Howard C

Tim Gatti

Hi Marek - glad you now know who she is! As Chadders suggests - have a look at N3109 on the boat database.  If you need any advice or guidance with your refurb just let me know. Tim

marek

Tim
3109 - what a beauty!!!
Ideally I would like to replace the decks and gunwales (they're not good, but have got them back to wood for now) over the winter - also the transom is split between the 2 transom flap cut outs
a thought - I'm never going to be at the top, let alone the middle of the fleet, so weight isn't an issue to me, nor the passable sails - hence my original post................. have you any thoughts of applying 0.6mm wood veneer over the decks to give her a 'lift' cosmetically?
cheers

FuzzyDuck

Hi Marek,
I have just found a Proctor Ally boom round the back of my shed. Its got quite a few hole drilled in it from spinny pole tubes (must have been from one of my Larks) but looks perfectly servicable. It yours if you want it.
I'm in Essex where are you?
Simon

aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

marek

Fuzzy
Cheers for that - I have located the boom and mast - finally at the club from where I got 3070
- so I'll pass, but thanks for the offer
marek

simon moss

I had my first ever sail and race in N30370 with BJ at YOSC and It was the first 12 I ever helmed, while BJ rolled his Fags!!, It was very quick in the light stuff and you could point it as high as you liked, I have a picture of me aged 16 standing on the bow whilst sailing seeing if we could get the rudder out of the water, great memories in that boat hope you enjoy her.

Simon
N3313

n12 Bottom Banner