National 12 - find out more...

boat cover & sails for N3050

Started by marek, 14 Jul 2009, 03:58

« previous - next »

Roly Mo

Simon omits to mention that BJ and that boat were a demon combination.  He was a 'master sniddler' who could find zephyrs of wind on the river where no-one else could.  At times the boat was seen sporting 3 sails - BJ using a golfing umbrella to keep himself dry in downpours but also using it as a spinnaker.  It's lovely to hear that the boat has a new owner and will be back sailing again.  BJ will be smiling down on you, roll up in hand!
Mrs RM

Tim Gatti

Marek - I wouldn't go for a veneer finish - especially if you are thinking of replacing the decks and gunwhales at some point.  Unless you can fit the boat in a giant vacuum bag I suspect you'll have a real job on trying to get the veneer in contact with the existing decks and keeping it there while the epoxy goes off.  I'd recommend getting it back to bare wood and then giving it a couple of coats of low viscosity epoxy to bind the surface grain together and give the old ply some strength.  Then sand and apply three or four coats of  one pot varnish.  You'll be surprised at how well it comes up. (That's the technique I used on the interior of N3109).  Have you got a dry garage/workshop? If not you could have problems with the epoxy as it tends to dislike the damp and can get a surface bloom on it (white & cloudy) if you're not careful.  Look forward to seeing your photos. Tim

n12 Bottom Banner