National 12 - find out more...

Crabbing, Norfolk Week

Started by Roly Mo, 19 Jul 2009, 08:18

« previous - next »

Roly Mo

I can confirm that the Crabbing Technical Committee met yesterday and that the Crab Master is now putting the final touches to the rules, which will be posted here shortly. 
RM

kingcrabber

At long last the technical subcommittee has met and the rules for the First Annual Norfolk Week Crabbing Competition have been labouriously drawn up over many a long evening with the benefits of all participants and the Overy Staithe Harbour Trust in mind, and they are as follows:
  • The entry fee shall be £1.00. No cheques please. Entries to be made to chalet C2 at Hunstanton from the Saturday morning of Norfolk Week. Entries will be allowed on the night.
  • All competitors must show their certificate of National 12 ownership or be prepared to pay a forfeit (to be decided at a later date in a pub somewhere) before the competiton begins.
  • No hooks shall be allowed on crab lines as this is aimed at the small people in the class. Words from on high have recommended that is anyone has bought a crab line with hooks that bags from washing powder can easily be subsitituted.
  • No double bottomed buckets, no vintage buckets or wooden buckets will be allowed by order of the committee.
  • Only bacon may be used as a bait. Vegetarians may ask for special dispensation from the organisers for alternative bait (to be found in chalet C2).
  • Pre entires may be allowed in accordance with rule 1.
  • There is no rule 1.
  • Alcoholic bribes will be gratefully accepted.
  • No sledging.
  • Definitely no fish heads to be used as bait.
  • Anyone caught torturing crabs or toher competitors will immediatley be disqualified and then tied to the lower part of the staithe with their crab lines. Any comfiscated fish heads or other bait will then be placed in the offenders underpants.
  • Children and non swimmers should be encouraged to wear buoyancy aids.
  • Waterpistols will only be allowed by the organisers in order to reprimand miscreants.
  • Discounted entry fees will be allowed by members of the Red Car Society
PS a red car has been seen at Blakeney
See you all at Norfolk

Roly Mo

Please note entries open on Saturday morning in C2, and close on Sunday afternoon (can just imagine the faces of the next inhabitants if a whole load of 12 sailors turn up brandishing money and talking of catching crabs . . . .).  Thereafter you need to track down the Pie Boys entourage, wherever they may be!
Mrs RM

Jane Wade

Is it possible to enter on-line?  Do you plan to update on Twitter?  Is there a separate category for the under 5s? We have several non-twelve owners' in our entourage so hope the forfeit / cost not too prohibitive!!
Jane 

Barry

I was at Blakeney on Saturday (black car) - no water - rain and plenty of wind. No crabbing taking place. Dog not impressed.

The car park is now £3.00.
Looking forward to going up that creek again.
Barry
ex N3364
Lark2312 (Pink & Wrinkly) at NWNW

Antony (Guest)

RM & Co,
Can you clarify some of the details of the crabbing as i cannot fine the other thread.
Time & date?  Am I right in thinking that this is the afternoon that we are also sailing there?
The ownership rule, do i really have to re-register my fleet with Kevan so that James and Rory can each be 'owners' of a 12?  I know that you Northern folk have so many boats each that this is relatively straightforward but it is more of a challenge for those of us 'down South'.  I do, as it happens, have just enough boats at the moment!
James and Rory have been practicing at Waldringfield.
Antony

king stupid

The proposed championship rules will keep the sport of crabbing in the dark ages. The ban on high tech buckets, tackle restrictions and bait limits will result in a one design sport.
 The discrimination against tall people (yes you Antony) is an outrage.... Please revisit the rules in the spirit of a development class and encourage people of all sizes amd abitities to complete on equal mud flat.

King Stupid (who caught crabs at Walbersick)

Tim Gatti

I'm bitterly disappointed that my beautiful vintage bucket will not be allowed to make an appearance. The oiled mahogany staves sparkle in the sunlight, whilst the bronze handle and fittings are polished and shining and the copper rivets - each one of which has been hand finished with fine wire wool, provides a breathtaking contrast to the deep reddish brown of the dark timbers they hold together.  What better home could a crab hope for?  Much better than some featureless, plastic abomination from Wilco's.  Is there no inclusiveness left in this sport!

Jane Wade

It strikes me that limiting the buckets in fact makes it more inclusive - very few people have your time and dedication Tom - a cheap, one-design means it is accessible to all but may simply result in early boredom.

chalky

I also caught crabs at Walberswick in 1984.
unclear from the "norfolk" rules what criteria wil decide the championships. Largest crab? Total weight? Best flavour?

Roly Mo

I first caught crabs in Walberswick in the 1960's (late 1960's before anyone says anything to the contrary). 
My father is there catching crabs right now (well not right now as he will undboubtably be on the other side of the Blyth toasting Colin's health in The Harbour Inn - another fine family tradition) but certainly during the daytime outside of opening hours.
RM

Roly Mo

The plan for Crabbing is to do it on Wednesday evening at about 5pm (time to be confirmed), as this is a currently the only available space in the diary.  We will have sailed at Wells in the morning and it’s Blakeney the following morning.  We have the Jenny Lee Trophy at Burnham Overy Staithe on Thursday evening and it just seems too busy to be getting boats moved around, rigged etc all at the same time as the crabs are at their best, hence Wednesday for crabbing.
I will leave it to King Crabber to deal with the many and varied other questions!  Not long to Norfolk now, can't wait!
Mrs RM

John Meadowcroft

I have never caught crabs.  I have never heard of Walbersick.  Is this relevant?  What is relevant?  Where is this great event taking place?  Is it Walverberswick or is this place designed to confuse.  I have heard of Blakeney and its expensive car park however.

chalky

Walberswick (suffolk) is home to the world crabbing championships..... An inclusive event with no material restrictions.

Roly Mo

An utter and total lack of relevance is exactly the point, part of the joy of NWNW.  If you have never heard of Walberswick you have missed out though - delightful small village 'cross the river' from Southwold.  My cousin lives there.  It's claim to fame is that it hosts the Crabbing Championships every year - a mad mad occasion which everyone should experience at least once in their lives!
We shall catch crabs at Burnham Overy Staithe, which is smaller than Walberswick but (in my humble opinion) nicer.  Mrs RM says I should mention that THERE ARE NO TOILETS at Overy Staithe and that small people either need to be prepared to do wild wees or be toileted before they get there!!  ICM's son and heir was practising the wild option on Saturday . . . 
There is a pub in the village, which was 'made over' a couple of years ago - ICM and I will almost certainly retire there for a noggin of Norfolk ale after crabbing . . . anyone going to join us?
RM

n12 Bottom Banner