National 12 - find out more...

Crabbing, Norfolk Week

Started by Roly Mo, 19 Jul 2009, 08:18

« previous - next »

angus

Tim your bucket would be welcome at tummel week although you are unlikely to catch any crabs. The only crabs I have ever caught are while rowing do those count?
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Martin

Remember to be nice to the Crabs.  5 star bucket accommodation only it would seem!!   

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/the-compassionate-guide-to-catching-a-crab-843549.html

Kevin

For those worried about the forfeit, I have a couple of spare N12 certificates available for charter. If others find themselves in the same position but do not wish to be seen advertising this in public I am happy to act as a go between for a small fee payable in a dark corner of the local pub. I will be identifiable by the hat pulled down tightly over my eyes and be near the back door just in case the cert police come in the front.

Also planning to run a book on the night. All bets and winnings payable in local ale. The bookie never loses (does he?).

Anyone know if the pub sells crabs?

johnk

Kevin; it sounds as though you are trying to persuade minors to buy ale.

Antony (Guest)

While it might not be legal i am not sure there is really a moral issue with persuading minors to buy the ale as long as you drink it for them.
The well being of the crabs is an interesting issue.  I have always focused on making sure some nasty little child does not tread on them as they are released back down the slipway, and now i find that the poor mites are getting stressed if the bucket is too small.
I forgot that James and Rory had also had a go at crabbing at Walberswick, as others have rightly said it is clearly the spiritual home of the sport.  I cannot remember the year we entered the British Open but my crab would have weighed more if it had not already lost one of its main pincers (funny what you can recall from childhood).
Antony

kingcrabber

Antony, by the powers invested in me, I hereby promote you to the position of Crab Welfare Officer for this event, and all communication in this vein ought to be dealt with by you! You will of course be in charge of ensuring that all crabs are kept in humane conditions and that nobody of any size or age puts their feet on them thus causing their untimely demise. As far as certificates are concerned this will need to be handed over to the measurement committee of which I am not a member to see how things stand. My guess is that they will only allow the old blue certificates as hireable ones. In response to the bucket question, the kids will enjoy the clear plastic ones that are available from most places in Norfolk which should also satisfy the Welfare Officer's demands as well.

chalky

Usefull info for the Crab welfare Officer. It should be quick and painless....Don't forget to put them to sleep first!

<h2>Boiling live crab</h2>
<ol>
  • Pour 5 litres of water into a large saucepan and add around 5 tablespoons of sea salt. Bring to a rapid boil.
  • Grasp the live crab by the back legs and drop it into the water headfirst. For a more humane method, as you grasp the crab by the legs, stroke the top of its head until it falls asleep and then slowly drop it into the boiling water.
  • Bring the water back to the boil and only then start timing.
  • You should cook large crabs (about 2lb) for around 15 - 20 minutes, whilst smaller crabs will only need around 8 - 10 minutes.
  • Once the water has started to boil again, reduce the heat and simmer for the required time. The crab's shell should turn a bright orange when done.
  • When the crabs are done, immerse them for a few seconds in cold water so that cooking stops and they do not overcook.
  • Serve immediately with hot melted butter or let the crabs cool down in their shell until they are cool enough for you to remove the meat and refrigerate it until further use.
  • Crabs are also delicious cold. </ol>

icecreamman

Well the first Norfolk Week crabbing competition proved to be a great success with plenty of crabs caught by all the competitors. Anthony was a worthy Crab Welfare Officer and was easily spotted in his yellow hi visiblilty vest checking on the size of buckets that were being used in between doing a spot of crabbing himself. I am certain he was hiding a huge crab under that vest that was then secreted into his bucket before full time.
Kevin did not have to sell any dodgy certificates to late comers, but did ask for sponsors on the night of the Jenny Lee for his row down the Thames. Steve Legrys was conspicuous by his absence and therefore missed out on winning the Canter Trophy for crabbers over a certain age. Maybe he mislaid his keys, we will never know. Mr Toad our erstwhile Chairman (well he was towed in and towed back at Wells) was another no show with his wooden bucket complete with copper rivets so it was down to the promised plastic buckets to be filled by the youngsters of the fleet.
Once time had been called by Joe Miatt with a blast of the whistle on his lifejacket crabs were then inspected with the finale being a race by the released crabs down the hard to the water again. Was this a winning option for the kids and adults alike and should it be repeated next year. I think from the time that was had by all that it was.

Jane Wade

Thanks to the Northern team for organising this.  Our small people really loved it and are keen to do it again!

greight expectations

An element of too much detail  in the last post!
As for late 60s (I first caught crabs in Walberswick in the 1960's (late 1960's before anyone says anything to the contrary).) who's he trying to kid! 8)

tryin to catch up

Roger

Roly Mo

Donation of £12 made to the Burnham Overy Harbour Trust as a result of our exploits, great fun!
RM

n12 Bottom Banner