National 12 - find out more...

Paradigm set up

Started by wobbly, 03 May 2010, 07:53

« previous - next »

wobbly

We are just about to take delivery of our new Paradigm 3534 and as novices to the 12 class would appreciate any tips on setting up the rig, especially regarding rig tension and spreader settings.  Thanks to everyone for letting me have a look at their boats at Batson (Salcombe) this weekend (most of you without your knowledge!). We are feeling suitably anxious and perhaps foolish but looking forward to getting out in the new boat and may attempt a race and a swim next weekend.  Look forward to seeing you from behind at Burton Week!  
 :) Wobbly!

Alex D

Have you checked the technical guide in http://www.national12.org/private.shtml#technical_stuff for the more general stuff?
I'm sure the current Paradigm owners will be happy to share their settings once they read your post.
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

Gavin Willis

When you find the best settings can you let me know?
Ask Meds, he is good at remembering settings or Dave Peacock he has a wealth of experience.
Gavin

John & Mandy (Guest)

Congratulations on your new purchase.
Our Paradigm was set up originally from the tuning guide.  Since we started sailing her, we have increased the mast bend and rake a little.  Apart from that, we find it is much more important to sail the boat flat and in the right direction (and with lots of wax).
We look forward to seeing you at Weymouth
John & Mandy
N3522

wobbly

The SYC 12 sailors have been fantastic and with the generous assistance of Mr. Murrell, Cooke and Ballantine we now have the spreaders set to the suggested dimensions from the P & B website for  the superspars carbon mast which is A spreader length 345 mm and angle B 115 mm...is this similar to the rest of you? We'll let you know how we get on but our first trip out in light airs on Saturday suggests it is a bit different to sailing a Laser and wibbly wobbly performance should be attributed to this not the craft. So much for sailing her flat....The technical hitch with the mast/mast foot has now been resolved too we hope.

But our first trip out brought some other questions. All advice gratefully received. We are finding that the centre board when raised hits onto the thwart and when it is down we think we had it beyond vertical. How have others dealt with this? At the moment we have a bit of foam pipe lagging.
Like wise with the rudder top edge.  When we raised the rudder to come in it seeemd to look as if it needed a corner taken off to avoid it touching the stock as we rotate it? Do we dare cut a corner off the new rudder? How do other people's look? We coped by jumping into very deep cold water to remove the rudder but I don't think we'll want to do that every week!
para docs crew aka Mrs. Wobbly

MikeDay

Good to hear you're on the water.  Some thoughts on your questions:
1. Spreaders: John Thornton kindly sent me his and Meds measurements (JT/JM):
spreader length 385 / 365
aft deflection 137/147
between ends 725 / 705
John T has a superspar, Meds has an Angel (I think).
2. The centreboard does touch the thwart on mine, too.  I've padded the point with a bit of progrip.
3. It's designed to go down beyond vertical.  Put the boat on its side and position the board at 90deg.  Then mark this line on the board inside the boat and use this position for stronger winds.  In the lighter stuff, push it down further to point higher - at least that's the theory.
4. Yes, cut the corner off the rudder!  I've already done this, and so has Dave Peacock.  I didn't get to the foam core, so not a problem.  If you do, you could work in some epoxy and then file that down to get a proper seal.  The overall rudder design is clever but it needs two further mods to make it work more easily.  I think we're calling these the 'Meds hole' and the 'Peacock stopper'.  Now I've done these, it's much simpler to line up the top holes for the pin.  Tricky to explain in words - but only 10 mins work and I can show you in Weymouth.

Mike D
N3533

Martin

To the unitiated can someone tell me what the differences are between a Paradigm 2 and 3?

JohnMurrell

You take a conventional Rondar Paradigm 2 hull moulding, a chain saw, some exopy and a Halfords load of highbuild. Slice the hull about a bit, lower the stem by about 12" (seriously!), play about with the sheerline a tad (having discussed it with the Technical Committee first!), put on a foredeck and DB in that looks similar to a kitten and hey presto you have a Paradigm 3.

No doubt Gavin can go into more detail but thats basically the way he described Curosity when I was measuring her............................

Gavin Willis

The simple fact is the Paradigm 3 is more extreem. I have tucked up the transom so it needs big foils to work. I though I would go back to the original hole in the front but decided reducing the height of the stem would leave me more time for sailing rather standing next to the boat and explaining what the hole was for. Only really suited to champoinship courses and straigh line sailing it is less than ideal for restricted waters. 
The Paradigm 2 is an all round boat, tacks like a dream and really sensitive. After I dislocated my knee by falling out of the back of the boat at Salcombe I wish I could sail a Paradigm 2 at Weymouth as you sit 'in it' not 'on it'.

wobbly

thank you ever so much. We'll try Mike's suggestions on Thursday.. which will probably yield more questions!
Helen

John Meadowcroft

Hi
I have got some more info which I wont post here, but send me an email and I will let you have it.
john at 2baileyclose.net

Martin

So any chance of a hybrid?  Paradigm 3 topsides and Paradigm 2 underneath.  Would it work other than aesthetics (which I accept is in the eye of the beholder)? 

Gavin Willis

This would probably give the worst of both worlds. I don't think the high sides create much drag at the angle to the apparent wind when going to windward. The narrow waterline width above the rise of floor measurement is good in waves, so as always there is a trade off. I have lowered the bow of Paradigm 3 to prove or disprove the drag issue. The result is a boat that is dead when tacking and really only suited to big courses.
The high sides of the Paradigm 2 give you a boat that tacks beautifully and is is ideally suited to restricted waters and very rewarding to sail. I might yet revert to a Paradigm 2 as they are well sorted stiff and very competitive. The section and size of the rudder foil is the only thing that needs to be tweaked to give a faster breeze performance.

n12 Bottom Banner