National 12 - find out more...

A complete, up to date, N12 for easy home build

Started by Nev, 15 Oct 2015, 02:51

« previous - next »

Nev

This N12 design is the culmination of many months of effort. The design aim was to produce a boat that (i) followed the latest N12 concepts (ii) was dimensionally very accurate and was (iii) easy to home build in wood with only reasonable levels of skill.

If you are even slightly interested read the article at N12 Insidious (this is a link to a 'Dropbox' file - simply close any 'sign in' or 'create an account' window to access the file). The article gives further links to all the design documents required to build this up to date N12 at home.

With a little more work and an injection of suitable expertise it is quite possible that all the parts of the design (or a similar design) could be cut out using CNC machines. Not quite a 'flat pack' N12 but going in that direction.

If there are any queries or questions please email me ( nevgreen@gmail.com ).

Interesting....
Would love to see one built, and see how it compares with the other "easy build " available:
http://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/kits/sailing/national-12/

alk

I'm looking forward to giving this a read, has anyone expressed an interest thus far?

smilie

Looks good great work it will be a shame if no one builds it just to see how it goes.

I wonder if it would involve much head scratching and mods to the frame to build one out pre-laminated foam sandwich sheets. In a similar way to how Clive Everest built his cherub.
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

Nev

A few people have expressed an interest but nothing particularly serious; however it's early days.

My previous experience is with wood and it shows in the design.
However I am happy to collaborate and modify the design to suit anyone who has a serious interest.

Cheers Nev

PS a recent advert on ebay offered 10 sheets of 4mm marine ply for £65 and many offers for cedar planks which would provide material for the strip planking.

3513SL

Could be interesting in the future, there are a few home builds going on at the moment, perhaps this actvity will take up people's interest again....who knows?
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

STU W

Be interested to know more about all these home builds
Stuart
N354-
Being very professionally built  a professional boat builder
12's are for life not just for christmas.

STU W

Stuart
N354-
Being very professionally built by  a professional boat builder

STU W

Stuart
N354-
Being very professionally built by a professional boat builder

smilie

Quote from: 1259

PS a recent advert on ebay offered 10 sheets of 4mm marine ply for £65 and many offers for cedar planks which would provide material for the strip planking.

Maybe the whole boat and give it wrap of 200g carbon ;)
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

Nev

A pdf file showing conventional 'water lines', 'cross sections' and 'buttocks' added to the Dropbox design folder.
Nev

n12 Bottom Banner