National 12 - find out more...

N1777 Cinzano

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 15 Feb 2007, 12:25

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1777 Cinzano. Design: Mark 8, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1958

johnk

This boat was painted Maroon on one side and Navy Blue on the other. This caused a certain amount of confusion to other competitors.

Mike Liggett

I can confirm that Cinzano still has a red port side and a blue starboard side.  However, she no longer has the rather unusual low aspect rig that she had in her prime in the 60s and 70s.  She came 2nd in 1960 and 5th in 1961 in the Burton in the hands of John Chaplin (I recently spoke with John who was pleased to hear Cinzano was in good shape).  In the late 60s and early 70s she was sailing at Ranelagh SC and then opwned by R. Evans.  She was bought, in a very sorry state, from R. Evans in 1991, by a guy living near Oxford, who commenced restoration.  In 2002 I acquired Cinzano and completed restoration (including a new conventional rig ex. Kevin Iles).  She is now in excellent condition and is listed on the National Small Boats Register.

ocallen

I am very pleased to say that I am the new owner of Cinzano. I had heard that she was now in excellent condition and when I collected her from Mike Liggett today found her exactly so. Looking forward to a long period of ownership and some fun sailing. She joins my China Doll, N2730, and who knows what else in the future. Thank you, Mike.
[size=10]Nick O'Callen-Smith.[/size] <br /><br />Present owner of N2844 (2010-. <br />Previous owner of N2135(1968-1971), N1626[/

ocallen

Unfortunately I am having to sell Cinzano as my teenage sons want a boat and Cinzano is just too good for teenagers to mess around in with their mates, so I think, so I've bought N2844 which is a GRP Paper Dart.
Hope Cinzano goes to a good home, enjoy her and show her off as she deserves. 
[size=10]Nick O'Callen-Smith.[/size] <br /><br />Present owner of N2844 (2010-. <br />Previous owner of N2135(1968-1971), N1626[/

ocallen

Sold to John Meadowcroft who I'm sure will enjoy her. 

edwillett

Courtesy of Mike Liggett is this picture of 12's from the early 70's in the Salcombe area. Mike acquired the photograph with CinZano when he restored her a few years ago. Notable is the low aspect rig on CinZano that was still with her when Mike acquired her. This was changed to a conventional aspect rig with the help of Kevin Iles.

jon@frontrd.demon.co.uk

I am the builder (from a shell) of Cinzano (N1777) and the original owner.  Thus 'twas I who chose the bi-colour paint scheme that has confused and amused so many for so long. I have been out of touch with the Twelves since 1967 when I sold the last of my four boats. I chose the original low rig to suit the weight of the then crew. I see the boat has also lost her hefty tiller and toe bar that were such a joy in a blow downwind. It is grand to read that Cinzano has given the pleasure to others that she gave to me. She went faster than anything in my wildest dreams, over 50 years ago now. From the photos, she is now very well cared for.

jon@frontrd.demon.co.uk

BTW My name is Jon Chaplin

jon@frontrd.demon.co.uk

Here are some recent photos taken by current owner Richard Pausey

jon@frontrd.demon.co.uk

jon@frontrd.demon.co.uk

Final  photo by Richard Pausey.
Cinzano's owners appear to have been

1959-1964 Jon Chaplin
1964-1991 R.Evans
1991-2002 [Oxford restorer]
2002-2009 Mike Liggett
2009-2010? O'Callen
2010-2013 Ed Willett
2013- Richard Pausey

I must thank them all for keeping the name and colour scheme that I chose 57 years ago! - Jon

edwillett

I can confirm that I have never been custodian of N1777....

Chadders

Think the owner 2010-13 would be John Meadowcroft, no doubt he will spot this and comment/correct.

John Meadowcroft

Yes, I owned Cinzano for this period.
John

n12 Bottom Banner