National 12 - find out more...

N3274 Bella

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 12 Mar 2007, 05:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3274 Bella.   Design: Crusader 88, designed by Phil Morrison in 1988
Previous boat names: Kitchen Appliance, Rejuvenator, Mr Incredible.

Mike Storey

Rescued from years of retirement in a Tyneside garage in early 2004, renamed Mr Incredible  and brought south to sail on the Thames at Desborough and give my son Alex his first sailing experiences. Has been on quite a few travels since, and is a regular on the Thames circuit.

Boat was stiffened up by Dave Ovington way before my time. Rear built in tanks were removed in late 2004 and replaced by bouyancy bags. Currently sporting a carbon boom, jib pole & tiller extension but everything else is wood or tin.

Rarely troubles the front of the fleet and in a force 0-1 struggles to move at all.

Mike  

Mike Storey

Its a Crusader 88 - the first one built I believe. No idea what differs between it and an bog standard Crusader.

Bilge keels were removed in 2005.

Mike

Mike S

Comments from Bryan Storey:
My 4th Twelve was a Crusader N3274 first reg '88 bought under 1 yr old. Renamed Rejuvenator. Spent ages refitting it!! Aft tanks always a bugger but got it to go!. Fast & flew on reaches (in its day) & could be sailed in gales!. A pig in v v light airs. Used very little from '98. Passed to my son Mike in 2004 & has been campaigned in London area, crewed by his son Alex.
No stern tanks now !

Mike Storey

2007- relocated off the river for some pond sailing at Island Barn Reservoir.

Mike S

Mike S (Guest)

Still within the family but back up north again to be sailed by my brother Ed and his family at Grimwith

Mike S

Ed storey

After 3 years of thrills and spills on the northern circuit Mr Incredible is now ready for the next generation of Storey sailors to grow into her...
Ed

edwillett

Mr Incredible has now joined the Willett fleet, resident at Cramond Boat Club near Edinburgh.

edwillett

June 2014...Mr Incredible winning a light wind club race on the Firth of Forth...seems to go pretty well to me!

edwillett

Winter 2014/2015 and it was time that Mr Incredible received some TLC. All the varnished wood was very tired and the painted hull needed attention. All the varnished wood has been stripped and renovated and repairwork undertaken to a damaged side deck and rotten gunwhale....
This pic shows the interior in the process of being stripped.

edwillett

Interior now ready for new varnish...however repairs are the next job.

edwillett

Rotten gunwhale repaired

edwillett

"Extra" jib track mount removed...weight saving!

edwillett

...and finally before the epoxy and varnish a bit of beautification...the original number was somewhat ugly consisting of a series of drill holes to define "3274"...so with careful use of a sculptors chisel the holes were joined up to pretty-fy the number....

n12 Bottom Banner