National 12 - find out more...

Club Racing

Started by David Wilkins (Guest), 31 Aug 2005, 11:13

« previous - next »

David Wilkins (Guest)

Dave Croft

Hi David(s),

You are so right about clubs,  this has been a problem for so long now I think it will be ver difficult to rectify. I would love to be sailing a 12 regularly at a local club, my children are now keen Cadet sailors, they deserve to have their chance to sail their own boat as I had at the same age so that takes priority. I think there must be a number of people in similar circumstances who try and fit the odd morning or evening of dinghy sailing in around other commitments. My nearest club is Twickenham (as you know), unfortunately the 12's have pretty much died out there. We are now sailing at Tamesis where there is a small but keen Cadet fleet unfortunately no 12's (they died about 10 years ago). The Merlin fleet at Tamesis is very strong with a mix of people who mostly sail away and thoes who almost never travel, this is key because there is never a mass exodus when a big open meeting is on or a for championship week. One of the big differences is that old Melins are more competitive inland than the new ones.

Mike Storey

Very interested in this discussion. At Desborough a couple of weeks ago we had 7 12s out for a standard club race in the middle of the holiday season and not a double bottom amongst them. That level of turnout has not been unique this season and it has definitely been a self-perpetuating growth. Club members have seen a regular nucleus of 12 sailors on the water over the last year or so and this is attracting them back into the class. Only 1 sailor (me) travels to OMs.  

We have also had a big influx of new members (well... big in the context of a small club), most with families, limited sailing experience and mostly without boats. We are having to think of ways to get these new members on the water and to keep them at the club. These guys could be future 12 sailors.

One idea we have had to keep the fleet strong is to offer a Winter Membership that would allow regular OM sailors in the London area to join for our winter series and enable them to keep sailing after Grafham. The winter really is the best time to sail on the river - less traffic, higher water levels, no leaves on trees etc. Hope to have more details about this shortly.

Mike
N3274

jammy dodger

David Wilkins (Guest)

Hello David C,

Good to hear from you and to note that you're still viewing this site!

A few thoughts - in the not too distant future your girls should will be able to sail a 12. When they get to this size you and Rosemary get back in your's and suddenly there is the nucleus of a fleet for Twickenham where there are still a couple of 12's, or you could add to the impressive numbers sailing at Desborough. Or how about your girlls sailing with their parents in 2 Twelves?

I note your point about Merlins but I'm not convinced that in most conditions experienced on rivers that a new Twelve is quicker than an equally well equiped older model.  You know well enough that the biggest influences on speed on a river are good boat handling (making half a length in a good tack x 100 tacks = 50 lengths), concentration, course and understanding which bit of the sail to be using when the wind is hitting it fom opposite directions!

Hope to see you back in the best class of all, soon!

Cheers

David

Dave Croft

Hi David W,

...or we could start a fleet at Tamesis (Will is a member too) however, I don't think my girls will want to sail with an old has-been! The other problem is they think non-spinnaker boats (as well as parents etc.,) are un-cool!

One thing I forgot to mention is that the RYA have a lot to answer for. They are very keen to cream-off the best youngsters and move them into 420's, Lazers, 29ers and 470 etc,  to the detriment of the national classes. I notice one of the Martin girls (sorry can't remember which) has moved into 420's and as we might expect is up the front of the fleet.

I might dust off the old boat once or twice next year (it's her 30th birthday) ... if I can still remember how to sail a 12.

Roly Mo

RogerBrisley

David G (Guest)

Thanks David for pasting my post, you no doubt remember the beery conversation at Salcombe that led to the post.

It is already interesting to note that there are clubs with 12 activity from this post, notably Desborough and Spinnaker.  Lets hear from the others!  Clubs need to beat the drum about the existance of 12 fleets, the round ups at the end of the Newsletter's (in Mr Day's editorship!) were a great tool to guide people to 12 clubs.

Ultimately the success of a club 12 fleet relies on dedicated fleet captains, who I suspect have become battle weary.  Perhaps we need 2006 to be N12 CLUB EFFORT YEAR, lets get organized get all the stray 12's in each area to try to promote 12 racing at a common venue, push personal handicap racing??  Wednesday night racing, 1st Weekend of the Month racing, have club racing weekend timetabled in the 12 calender?  Could clubs waive joining fees to help stimulate fleet racing?

I have tried to push 12's in the Chichester Harbour area, which has been a struggle, but I would be prepared to have another go.

Lets turn the tide.  Any other ideas?

Regards,

David

Jane W (Guest)

Some time ago Mr Meadowcroft came up with the idea of having a 'club sailing weekend' once a month actually scheduled into the fixture list to satisfy the exact drivers we are talking about.

Earlier this year Terry Cooke and I had a discussion about marketing the class and overall direction. There is a fantastic platform next year at Sailboat and it should not be missed.  This is a niche market class so will always see lower numbers than something such as an RS200.  I competed in the RS200 championships - not a particularly refined boat but good fun and sailing around with 100 boats was also great.  We cannot compete with that head on so need to tap into those who like refined and truly skilled sailing but are not put off by the uniqueness of the 12.  Putting that into action is possibly the single most important thing the class can do.  We are very limited as to the size/stature of people that can sail the boat (as much a we might try to deny this) but should actively be seeking them out.

There is a lot of work to do on this area and very little time to turn things around.  Critical mass is the key and without it I think my previous gloom and doom post could be all too true.

Jane W

philip cosson (Guest)

n12 Bottom Banner