National 12 - find out more...

Club Racing

Started by David Wilkins (Guest), 31 Aug 2005, 11:13

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Hmm... Seems like the needle got stuck on Jimmy's reply... :))

The general problem to my mind seems to be competition with other classes. Question: how do you make the National 12 sexier? Answer: it depends upon how you market it. The key word is publicity. This however, requires time (mostly voluntary) and money. We as a class group should identify all those things which make a 12 (and skipper and crew) stand out from the rest. How about a questionnaire to be sent around to all N12 association members asking their opinion? A competition for the best caption would motivate many. Any sponsors out there? (Gill, Holts, Gull, etc. - come on you people!) Although newly bonded to Nuttyshell (N3130), I have a deep-filled sense of personal pride and satisfaction to have a boat which sets itself apart from the 420s, lasers,  &Co. (and not just because of her 25 years of age!). Remember, it's not a question of going fast to have class! (Please don't use that as a slogan!)

david greening (Guest)

Hi,

A few years back Gavin, Graham, Meds, Myself and a few others rang around many of the members of the association to ask about their 12 sailing habits.  The theme that came through to me was that for most people twelves were not the only thing in their life competing for their leisure time.  Also once you have broken the habit of sailing on a regular basis, something elso comes along tp fill that time.

The key to success must be to recognize the change in demographics and needs since the 60's. 70's. 80's. 90's.  

A lot has changed for us in this time, in the 60's and 70's we were the pre-eminant class, clubs only sailed "proper boats" and youth sailing, i.e. club raced cadets fed kids into 12's and people liked building or maintaining their boats in the garage in winter.  We have an opportunity to celebrate this glorious past next year.

In the meantime the class has to adapt to the sailing world as it is now and may be in the future.  Answers on a postcard please!

David Cameron Greening
N3461

Tom Stewart (Guest)

There were seven N12's at Up river at the weekend.

Dave Greenings comments (August 31st) about Winders are incorrect. Pinnell and Bax are sole traders of the P&B Feeling foolish.
However the good news is that if you want an off the shelf measured, tuned, pick up and play boat then they are available from P&B. We have one boat on order and ther is room to build more for an early 2006 delivery.  If off the shelf boats are the  answer for trhe class then P&B  and previously Storrar and Bax have now produced two if ythe class wants them come and buy them. They have won 5 out of the last seven champs. They are available in a club spec,

david greening (Guest)

Hi Tom,

I stand corrected, I was misinformed by a Yorkshireman!

It amazes me that the P&B product has not taken off in the same way as the Winder Merlin or the RS200, these are really smart and maintenance free boats, fully sorted with an undisputable and proven track record.  

Assuming that these boats are as refined as the class can get, it makes me think that in order to improve class turnouts, we either have to fundamentally change the boat, and by fundamental I mean a big change like Assymetrics, or fundamentally change the racing and social package of the class starting from the grass routes up. i.e. club racing.  And this completely relies on the existance of boats in clubs and class captains with lots of energy and enthusiasm.

David
N3461

n12 Bottom Banner