2007 Dates

Started by Antony (Guest), 14 Aug 2006, 05:35

« previous - next »

Antony (Guest)

Dates that have been confirmed for next year are as follows:

NWNW 28th July - 4th August
Burton Wk (Brixham YC) 28th July - 3rd August
Salcombe YC Regatta 5th August-10th August

I have not yet seen dates for Bass or Tummel, although I suspect that somebody will have them to post here soon.  

Obviously from the above information it is clear that there is a very unfortunate clash between Norfolk and Burton Wk, and doubtless there will be people that choose the joys of Norfolk Wk rather than Burton Wk and some that wish they could do both.  Trying to avoid a clash is the reason for the delay in publishing the dates of Burton Wk, but as I am sure people understand Torbay gets pretty busy and Brixham could not offer us a week without a clash.  Importantly nobody has 'caused' this issue, with the NTOA, NWNSA, Salcombe YC and Brixham YC all doing everything possible to help.  

My hope is simply that we can see more 12s on the water at all these events in 2007 than in 2006.  If there are volunteers out there to be the 12 'representative' for both NWNW and Salcombe next year, to act as a point of contact to promote and encourage attendance at these all important weeks, then I would love to hear from them.

Any questions please get in touch.

Antony
N3484

philipcosson

That's a bit of a blow - as my parents live 15 miles from Hunstanton I had hoped to be at NWNW and burton week next year.

As this week is the youth sailcamp at our club - it seems I'll miss BOTH.

Philip
n3253

Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

Roly Mo

Our guess is that Bassenthwaite Regatta will commence Saturday 4 August (it is always timed so that the Monday of Bass Week is the first Monday of August), ending Sunday 12 August.

Team Roly Mo

gerry ledger

It is my understanding that the original date for Burton was 5th-10 August 2007.NWNW was already decided and usually check with the 12s to avoid a clash. IT seems unfair to Norfolk to have to clash because Salcombe wont move, dose it have somthing to do with the fact that more committee members go to Salcombe rather than NWNW?

Steve Sallis (Guest)

Anthony,
Is there really no venue that can offer dates that do not clash with either NWNW or Salcombe week? I sailed the Hunstanton weekend with my daughter and she really enjoyed it despite the Tornado and storm force winds (or maybe because of the Tornado) for her first taste of sea sailing. We were seriously considering doing the whole week next year. It's going to be a bit tricky to do BW as well.

Regards,

Steve
N3436

Antony (Guest)

Gerry,
I should have called you, or you me, to clarify what has happened.  

1. It is not true that NWNW was already set, they were the last dates we knew, it is true that they do not really have a choice due to the tides.
2.  It is true that Burton Wk was originally to clash with the Salcombe date, that is set by Salcombe Harbour Authority not the YC.
3.  The whole committee discussed which was the lesser of the evils and decided to switch to the only other week that Brixham to do as the lesser of two poor options.
4.  There is one Committee member that I know of at Salcombe this year, I am not sure who did bits of NWNW.  I for one am very disappointed as I love both and have been to bits of both Salcombe and NWNW in the last three years, indeed I launched my boat at Hustanton in 2003.

Steve,
The NTOA decided that it was unfair on Brixham to drop them for reasons that were not their fault and leave them with no event in 2007.  We also had no idea whether we would be able to find another venue for a week in August.

I am sorry, I have been totally open about what has happened and hope that is appreciated.  If we had a better option that we thought was viable we would have pursued it.

Antony

MarkSimpson

Ian and Alex (Guest)

Just out of interest, what was the rationale for choosing to clash with Norfolk rather than Salcombe? Particularly given that this year there were at least 3.5 boats (including Liz!) at Norfolk who will also be at the Champs and who will have to make the decision which to do next year (ours is made - we'll be at Norfolk).

Also, aren't there 2 Salcombe regatta weeks (Town Regatta and SYC Regatta) - was any consideration given to promoting the non-clashing regatta week at Salcombe as the week that 12's go to - and with SYC's agreement, presenting the trophies at that week (just a thought)

Ian and Alex
N3441

RogerBrisley

I've done both town and posh and enjoyed both.  However the town (/04) was not well attended by 12's (5 attendees inc KathR Will Henderson)  (only but lots arrived as iI was Leaving) .

I can't see why town would not be acceptable if we had sufficient numbers,  though I guess there will be some with social connections that would wish to attend posh week.

Moving on, Tummel seems to be a fantastic venue,  I purchased my design 8 frrom up there ("its just north of Edinburgh") last year, and was well impressed with the area and the Loch... As Mark suggests more of us should make the effort to go there despite th distance (Team Roly went further just to observe!)

Antony (Guest)

Ian/Alex,
There was unanimous committee agreement on this decision, and the committee is a pretty diverse bunch, for a surprising number of different reasons.  The number of Champs sailors at NWNW and Salcombe is pretty similar, I think this year it is a little higher at Salcombe but sadly some of them are sitting on the beach.

Serious consideration was given to asking SYC if the Twelves could sail their main event at the Town Regatta for one year, and it was decided that this was not a viable solution or in the long -term interests of the class.

As I said in my orignal thread we are all aware that this clash will impact Burton Wk, and my interest is not in maximising the attendance at Burton Wk but is in increasing the number of 12s sailing at all of these events next year.  If you (Ian & Alex) are definitely going to NWNW next year then perhaps we can discuss off-line my idea of having a person promoting the week to other 12 sailors?

Antony

Roly Mo

As a committee member I do not recall being asked to vote, only to give my opinion.  Had I been asked to vote my vote would have gone for leaving the clash with Salcombe.  If you are going to say the committee are 'unanimous' in support for a decision at least give us the opportunity to vote.

Looking forward to seeing Ian and Alex (and hopefully the rest of the regulars and some new faces) at Norfolk in 2007.

Bernard

Antony (Guest)

Bernard,
I am sure you are right, I guess that the word 'vote' was not used, and I am sorry to mis-represent your view.  That does not change the fact that nobody on the committee objected to the idea.  In fact it is sad to report that a lot of members did not bother to respond.   The simple fact is that we had a choice to make between two bad options, and one has been chosen.

Antony

Roly Mo

I will make sure my views are more clearly expressed in future!

B

Jane Wade

Strikes me that we are very lucky!  How many classes have a choice of weeks where they can sail against others?  We have a few great weeks available to us - no one can do them all (even though we gave it a good go as students) and we just need to get good turnouts at all of them!

Jane

rick perkins

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

n12 Bottom Banner