National 12 - find out more...

vote for as many as you like (don't mix yes/no/dk)

Started by Guess (Guest), 18 Aug 2006, 09:23

« previous - next »

MattStiles

Well for what it's worth I chose the 12 exactly as she is, a two-hander that's simple to crew and that rewards lightweights.  As I've a 9 y/o and a 7 y/o as my crew choice if we had much more power or a kite it would have made the 12 the wrong boat for me (I'd probably be suffering in a Firefly or something).  I can echo the comments elsewhere about asymmetrics (having beaten a RS200 over the water this w/e at my local puddle), more trouble than they're worth in the 12's traditional waters.

I like the idea of weight reduction and rig efficiency 'though.  

Matt / N3143

mack

I agree with you Matt. I was attracted to the 12 for exactly the same reasons I have a 13y/0 who is very keen and a less enthusiastic 9y/o. The 12 seemed to suit our needs exactly and benefits from a very friendly and supportive group here on the forum. If I had wanted all the extra sails I would have gone for plastic! There is plenty on a 12 to keep me busy from the sound of it just staying dry is the initial challenge (although my crew has other ideas!!!).

2966 is now stripped down for varnishing and the chap at P&B was really helpful in sorting out my workshop needs (a la DSM article!).

Still waiting for my 12 owners pack to come through and to get some photos for help in identifing the design.

Mack 2966 ;D ;D ;D

DavidW

I suspect that your owners pack has been delayed due to Kevan & Janet being so busy organising another brilliant championship week. I just had a quick look at the 2000 handbook in which 2966 is very unusual as there are no details against her number. I'm intrigued - let us know your findings.

Cheers

David

David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Alex D

For what its worth ... Having just chosen a 12 and having recently considered the alternative options available here is my reasoning behind that choice.

• I sailed a fair bit from an early age sailing Mirror, Scorpion, Marauder (open / nationals), Laser, Laser II, Lark,
    • No dinghy for a while  - Windsurfing / Paragliding / Yachts / Family
    • limited budget
    • Two young children (girls) 8 & 10 (keen) and a Mirror (for sale)
    • Children can now swim well and luckily don't scare too easily
    • Any spinnaker would remain unused for a good while.
    • I don't mind repairs & maintenance on wooden boats.
    • Still a bit light (sub 16 stone crew weight)
    • Sail club handicap inland and keen to get back onto the open circuit
    • a belief that we all get conditions at some point that will give any setup an edge.
    • flexibility to change things on the boat if they don't suit the crew.
    • character
    • speed
    • responsiveness

I wanted a boat that would be competitive club racing. (I have negociated a PY of 1115)
    I don't mind (and enjoy) the complexity tuning / setup / controls and descisions that can be avoided in a one design.
    If you look at the list above, it highlights the things that might put you off a 12.

• a lack of club fleet racing
      • unsuitable crew weight
      • a fear of woodwork or lack of cash for carbon
      • too much to tweek and understand
      • awareness of the implications or concerns about development status of the class
      • The assumtion that one designs give you a level playing field.

Since turning up with mine at a couple of clubs I have received real interest from Merlin, fireball and other sailors and a really warm reception from other 12 owners.

One thing I have noticed is the amount of steering control you have with weight shift is massive (hard chines on my 12) and much like a windsurfer and I hope a carve gybe may be possible if I can keen the speed up into the turn.

One thing I would say is that I managed to get a quick and interesting boat with 2 sets of decent sails, alloy spars  a launch trolley, road trailer, cover good quality fittings, well setup for racing for less that the cost of an average laptop.

Finally once I decided to go for a 12 I discovered that my Mum and Grandmother both crewed them in the 30s,40s & 50s. (Family connection ?)

My plan is now autumn club racing, a winter of repairs and then some opens in the spring.

Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

john murrell (Guest)

Alex,

so having sen the light, where are you taking the rest apart?

Alex D

I don't know about the taking apart yet. Less wind forcast and more practice required I think. Three races at Chew Valley SC tomorrow (Aplogies for being off topic).
      Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

n12 Bottom Banner