National 12 - find out more...

Hinged centerboard

Started by rick perkins, 26 Mar 2007, 11:26

« previous - next »

rick perkins

I read an article in an old Ratchet on the website about a centerboard that had a hinge in it ...

Are hinges allowed in the centerboard still?

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

JohnMurrell

Rick,

Do you have a set of Class Rules? If so Rule no 7 explains all.

Thing to remember with a Twelve Class Rule is that it tells you perameters to work within and what isn't allowed, not what is allowed - also download a copy of the measurers guide from the homepage and that will explain what is measured and how.
If in doubt a call to your nearest or friendly class measurer will also help (pages 4 & 5 in the Class yearbook. I am amazed by the number of calls I get - even from the classes outpost in Bavaria!
However not to be obtuse, the answer to your question is yes - if you can get one to work!

rick perkins

Thanks John ....

Can the hinge be in any plane/angle?

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

JohnMurrell

Rick, basically providing you can get it back into the c/board case go with what you want. Simon Hinks was playing with allsorts of ideas a couple of years ago on 3396, all of which can to nought because the engineering he was coming up with was too complicated and very heavy.................................

Jimbo41

Rick,
Does this have the same effect as a hatchet centreboard - improving the angle made by the foil relative to the water plane, so that when it's up it stays near enough the same angle/position to when it's fully down?

Sorry to be so obtuse - feeling a little unhinged at the mo  :-/

Oh and in which Ratchet? I spent 2 hours the other day trying to find it...

Cheers!

Jim.

rick perkins

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Jimbo41

jammy dodger

Jim unhinged.......... well, perish the thought.....  ;D By the way Jim, how come you couldn't find time to write your article for me in Ratchet but could for Mr Wilkins in his offering!!!!

Jimbo42

JohnMurrell

Jim,

Interesting, over the weekend I was trying to find some history of 2632 looking through some of the classes old newsletters, and in No38 of summer 1980 a chap by the name of Dave Peacock (!) wrote an article outlining how a c/board can be made to work like a d/board. The then rules allowed it, however the loophole was closed rather quickly if I remember correctly with the words ' the pivot point shall be in one fixed position related to both the hull and the centreboard' added at the next AGM!

Lots of other juicy bits from the past too including the Dave Eberlin pic of John Royce and Barbara Whyte sailing Tiger Lil at Trent Valley with a big rig, spinnaker, trapeze .................................

rick perkins

[quote by=John_Murrell link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1169854006,s=9 date=1170182170]looking through some of the classes old newsletters, and in No38 of summer 1980 a chap by the name of Dave Peacock (!) wrote an article outlining how a c/board can be made to work like a d/board. The then rules allowed it, however the loophole was closed rather quickly if I remember correctly with the words ' the pivot point shall be in one fixed position related to both the hull and the centreboard' added at the next AGM!

[/quote]

When the rules are changed to remove a "loophole" is it applied retrospectivly or can those who innovated the item keep it?
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

JohnMurrell

Depends on the rule thats been revised - if its something fundamental to the construction of the boats you get a dispensation which is added to the certificate - I have one on 3003 in relation to the daggerboard. Also if its something like the new sail rules, obviously keep using the old ones with those measurements and its only when the motor needs a rebuild you change to the new rules.

Same works when we have reduced weight in the past, you can keep your boat at the old weight if you want, but if you remove any weight you have to get it reweighed. Thinking about it, Measurers should be in favour of a graduated plan of weight reduction, say half a kilo a year, that way they will always kept in beer tokens for the season for at least the next 20 years ...............................

Jimbo42

DavidW

And I thought it was just the Jammy Dodger who was out to get me! I'll be getting a complex soon!
Cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Steve Sallis (Guest)

n12 Bottom Banner