National 12 - find out more...

Sand sugar or tape

Started by angus, 17 Apr 2007, 11:08

« previous - next »

angus

As work continues with my crusader and i now have a centr board that goes down even if it is not so keen to come up again. i would be interest to hear peoples ideas of how to stop myself sliding about on the new varish like torvil or dean. Whats best sand sugar or none slip tape and hows the best way to apply it, or does anybody have any other bright ideas.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Tape's good Angus.

Passion Pudding's got neoprene pads all over her to stop me sliding around.  Sand and/or sugar will really make a mess of knees, wet/dry suits and other skin. Just ask Jammie Dodger - he put the pads on Passion Pudding.

I didn't realise you were old enough to remember Torvile & Dean.  ;D

Cheers!

Jim.

Little Bo

Wax!  Lots of it!!  

hairy dog

Dr Zogs sex wax.  available at all good surf stores.  Different 'flavours' (smells) available too!
get a Mungral up ya! :o

JohnMurrell

Angus,

I do one of two things, preference is to get hold of grey sharp sand, dry it in the oven and then sieve it using Liz's best flour sieve to get it really fine and then sprinkle it onto freshly painted WET paint - use loads. Allow paint to cure for about an hour and then Henry off the suplus and put another coat of paint on to seal. Magic finish, not aggressive on the knees and is very nonslip.

The other way is to paint and then sprinkle granulated sugar on. Allow to cure and then pour hot water over. The sugar will then disolve and leave a non slip surface.

The choice is yours depending on wether you like building sandcastles or have a sweet tooth.........

Yoda

THG

John - assuming you did that for Holy Grail (my wood Crusader) - then I'd confirm this is good non slip and no problems with wear on knees etc

Have slipped off the back decks once  ;D

Kean

THG

Jimbo41

Kean,
I did that at the weekend too. Any cures? I thought about putting rubber pads on my drysuit in the appropriate places....

Yoda, youda not wanna make anya comment?

Jim.

Jimbo42

JohnMurrell

Now there's a thought - sex wax on your backside to stop you slipping...............................does 'er in doors know about this?

JimC

I accidentally came across a possible alternative a few years ago which I've never felt quite brave enough to try for real. That is to varnish/paint the normal way, and then when the surface is very tacky apply peel ply. When fully cured remove peel ply. I'm sure you can guess the accident, and it certainly seemed to have a lot of potential for a less aggresive rough surface. It seems to me it ought to be a very neat solution for a varnished interior especially.

janeysailor12

Jimbo41

Janey,

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep monitoring. As far as I know, wood can be kept from having osmosis problems  ??)

Jim.

janeysailor12

No problem Jim.....my concern (as an owner of a beautiful wooden boat also) would be the water causing the wood to blacken and go rotten, as opposed to osmosis...or are they one and the same thing??

Janey

icecreamman

If you cannot get hold of the famous Dr Zoggs Sex Wax, there is always Kangaroo Poo!!

Roly Mo

Angus

I have some wax and will bring it on Sunday for you to try.  Roly and I use it all the time.

Roly Mo

PS  How's the gunwhale?

n12 Bottom Banner