National 12 - find out more...

Sand sugar or tape

Started by angus, 17 Apr 2007, 11:08

« previous - next »

Jimbo42

angus

Thanks for all your suggestions. I rather like the sugar idea as that suits my sweet tooth, but the way things are going I am not going to have time to do anything before Sunday so it may have to be the wax.
As for the gunnel the worms are still fir and healthy but the present plan is to wait till it drops off because I am going to have to start work on my other boat (not a 12 ) if it going to be ready this summer. But do keeps your eyes out for a posting how do you get rid of worms in the gunnel then you will know I'm onto phase 2 ::)
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Angus
 - other Boat?!?!!? I thought you were a true blue National 12 sailor and nothing else would fit the bill????
Jim
 :-/

angus

I'm not really I've toyed around with toys and other things but the other boat is somthing for the whole family to get her who does not get her feet wet into a boat it must be slightly more stable than the QE2 with tennis courts bars  etc., ??)

angus

Just thought I would let you know what happened. Was going to try the sugar option sweat tooth and all that but realised I had not left enough time to ensure vaarnish was dry before Annandale so went for some tape that Mark Simpson had given me and stuck it in more or less the same places that it had been stuck before (No signs of rot by the way Jimbo so no worries there). It was actually a bit more of the less (are you keeping up with this cause I'm starting to get confused) cause I didn't have enough tape. unfortunately I discovered among other things that where different from my Cina Doll where i put my feet was one of them. As a result along side rope ends that pulled through fairleads and tiller extensions getting stuck under gunnels and selfbailers with a reverse gear I also fell about the place like......? Probably the best place for my feet would have been in my mouth which would have saved the fleet (Miniscule as it was) and the poor tender ears of my crew the expletives that rang across the water.
Today my crew and I were out with the varnish and sugar (it must be bad first time he has ever helped with the boat although he did ask how much he was getting payed, I offered him a 1% stake in the boat he turned it down, he must ge this intelligence from his motherside).
Keep your ears pinned for the ext tail in this sorry sarga.

Roly Mo

Angoose,

You should have stuck the tape to your boots then it will have always been in the right place. (more words of wisdom from a mole)

brian kitching

Having just removated my National N1657 for the second time I have again used sugar.

Last time I applied this to the interior battens and a strip along the side decks, these worked well and the extra thickness of varnish on the batten stopped the wood from becoming bare on these high wear area.

To apply, mask off the desired area, with varnish still wet sprinkle whe sugar onto the surface and leave to dry. Apply a second coat of varnish to build up the 'rough surface, and do not drush out the varnish.
When sailing the boat the first couple of times the sugar gets dissolved away leaving a rough finish that does last. there is no damage to the boat or the sailing gear.

I have never used sand, but would have thought it would damage sail gear and always finding loose particles in the bottom of the boat scratching the rest of the varnish.

Hope this is of used
Brian Kitching
N3439 and N1657

Phil Brown

I've used both sand and sugar

Sand is excellent as a non slip but can add 1 1/2 to 2 kg to the weight (ok if you're underweight) . Generally it doesn't work loose but it is very abrasive, can be hard on kit and is best used on the cockpit floor.

Beach sand is ok but should be well washed and dried first.

Aesthetically, it is difficult to get an even looking covering when using varnish but it's fine in paint. (I've found the non slip additives that International sell to be not grippy enough in a small boat)

If varnishing, sugar looks better, works well and is easy to re-apply.
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Mikey C

Matrix Composites in Bristol sell a paint called deckline, which is soft rubber particles in resin. Its a bit fun to actually paint on, but the final grip is excellent and doesnt eat your knees...
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

Jimbo42

Mikey C

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

THG

Check out the Y&Y forum there's a thread on grip there too - much similar but some other products are mentioned too.  One nice set of pics of grip applied by aresol to a wooden boat.

>:(   No VPN -stuck at home and can't access network.
THG

tedcordall

n12 Bottom Banner