National 12 - find out more...

Help...Which 1?

Started by Valhalla, 07 Dec 2007, 11:18

« previous - next »

Valhalla

Its a beautiful boat & the website has made a lot of effort to provide a lot of information about the many different hulls designs available.
I'm an Offshore racer & currently crew for a J105 and also owned hobiecats (in the caribbean!!)
I live in London and will probably do most of my sailing on the Thames near Hammersmith or in the Welsh Harp reservoir in Wembley but my real passion, time allowing, is sea sailing which will most likely be around the Solent.
After getting used to the boat, I will probably would want to start racing it but not all out competetively
Advice please.
Regards
Nigel

MikeDay

Welcome to the Twelves.  It's not clear from your message whether you're planning on buying new, s/h double-bottomed, or something older.  Until we know this, it's hard to give detailed advice.  However, if you're looking to sail mostly on the Thames near Hammersmith - that means Twickenham or Ranelagh, and I know you'd be most welcome at either.  You'll need to get something that will tack well, otherwise you'll be frustrated.  To be honest, most Twelves go pretty well on the sea, though some will plane quicker than others.

Come down to Ranelagh on the morning of Sunday 6th Jan and you can have a look at a range of modern boats that will be there for the first meeting of the New year.

Mike D
N3496

Valhalla

THG

You won't get a DB for that sort of price, but there are many good single bottom (Admiral Cup) available.  Also there are some that are not yet on the list but will be soon, Fuzzy Duck will be up for sale soon.  You could try posting a wanted advert and see what pops up.  Something like a Crusader design could be a compromise for both river & sea, but there are better options if for each - there are some older vintages which would go well on the river - why not buy 2 boats and keep one in London & one by the sea!

THG
N3339
THG

MikeDay

davidgr (Guest)

I notice Stumpy is on the for sale list.  Was/is a pretty fast boat that would go well on the sea in the right price range.  Will still goes pretty well inland in his Baggy.

Jeremy C

if you want to try out a twleve before Xmas then you could pop down the M4 to Burghfield Sailing Club, we have a few differnet designs based at the club and a bunch of enthusiastic members who would give you a ride so that you could compare single bottomed to double bottomed etc
if you are interested just drop me a mail
[mail]jcdesigns42@btinternet.com[/mail]

BSC webiste which has directions on it under information button on the left://www.burghfieldsailing.org
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

rick perkins

[quote by=Valhalla link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1197026318,s=2 date=1197030732]
Probably another consideration is that I'm 80kg & my partner is about 70-75 kg but I will probably attempt to sail single-handed in lighter winds.[/quote]

At that weight you will no doubt be able to have lots of fun in a 12 but you will struggle to be competitive, I don't know if that matteres to you.

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

FuzzyDuck

aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Tim L

23.5kg... I didn't know they had pygmys in Essex.... ;D

But agree, crusader is an excellent choice for a first 12 and there's a selection on the 2nd hand list.

FuzzyDuck

Maybe thats the weight I want to be!!!  

Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Valhalla

Thanks for all the advice fellas.  Will do some trails as advised
But feel free to continue
Cheers
Nigel
N*** to be announced

darebarry

Valhalla

Valhalla

Hi Rick N3490
What do you mean by not being competitive at that weight... too heavy??... too light??
So what's a competitve weight?
Are there other boats I should be considering?
Cheers
Nigel

n12 Bottom Banner