National 12 - find out more...

Salcombe filming

Started by Guest (Guest), 30 Mar 2011, 11:59

« previous - next »

Guest (Guest)

Hi,

just been down filming the Merlins last weekend (see here: http://vimeo.com/21707641).

Would like to do some at the 12 filming on the May bank holiday (having used the Merlins purely as a trial run, obviously. ;)).  If anyone may have a spare room in their house for the weekend, then do let me know.  Though this assumes I don't end up back in the middle of the North Sea before then...

Cheers
Tim
Ex-N3007, 3295, 3497 8)

MikeDay

Tim

There's some great footage there and the edit with the music makes it attractive to watch.  What's missing (and this is true of almost all sailing film I see) is the story of the race.  Who's winning?  Who's losing ground? What are the tactical decisions that boats are making?  If you can find a way to cover this, you'll really be on to something ...

Good luck!

Mike D
N3533

Tim L (Guest)

Thanks Mike,  yes it's a valid point.  It's a first attempt and I'm really only feeling my way into it.  We mainly followed the back/middle of the fleet in this one, so you don't get to see much of the leaders.  In the second one we tried to stay ahead of the pack without getting the way, so the other video I'm working on has a bit more of an obvious narrative (it's also sunnier and less shaky) - will post that sometime next week.  
To go beyond that and cover tactics you'd be getting into the realms of having commentators, which seems a bit overkill for an open meeting (though it could be fun - but you'd need someone who understands Salcombe well...!).  Also, it's nice to get the guys further down the fleet, it's not as if those at the front don't have enough photos, prizes and names in the write-ups. ;) 
For decent racing, well explained, then the 2011 18ft Skiff Worlds is head and shoulders above the rest - it's on 18footers.tv.  As you say, most other sailing video is pretty poor (other than Grazz's 12 videos, obviously...), so I wanted to try and make something that was a bit better, but starting from the simpler end of the spectrum.
Tim :)

Tim L (Guest)

Just thought I'd bump this up as it's now closer to the time.  If anyone has god spare bed/sofa space in Salcombe for the weekend then let me know.

Tim

TimL (Guest)

Well, it's taken a while (due to the sunny weather and other distractions) but the first of the Salcombe Open videos is now online.  
See: http://vimeo.com/23639212
It's a short one as due to the windy conditions we spent as much time being a rescue boat as actually doing any filming.  Depending on when I have to go back to work the other two races filmed should appear over the net couple of weeks.

Tim :)

Guest (Guest)

Great video Tim! I like your style.
Just a suggestion - longer clips mixed in with the short might break up the choppiness. I know you were limited by where the rescue boat was etc..

Great work.. 

Bim

Alistair Edwards

Well done Tim. That is a fantastic video! One of the best ever N12 videos.

Great dramatic/dreamy music. I like the choppy style and the unusual close up shots.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

TimL (Guest)

Ok, Race 2 is up... 8)

http://vimeo.com/24324159

It took a while longer than expected, I made it, didn't like it, deleted it and started again with some different music... Race 3 is even windier but greyer so it may appear in black and white.    

Tim

Crusader 3244

video looks fantastic !! .. .. except .. .. (no reflection on the video itself) I get a succession of 'stills'.
I run Firefox off the back of Ubuntu Linux 10.4 and can strrem BBC iplayer or YouTube content with no apparent problems - but some video, like vimeo, refuses to run properly.
Despite eschewing Windows XP for Linux and having a generally productive relationship with Linux for 18 months or more I'm not really that 'geeky'. I read 'Linux Format' (a mag'), 'techie' books, and sometimes find content in the Linux forums that answers questions in terms I can understand, but I haven't quite 'got my head around' the full breadth of issues surrounding 'plugins' and 'codecs' as they apply to a Linux convert.
There are some clever people number amongst 'twelvies', I know - though I ain't one of them. Before I immerse myself in geeky Linux forums and the propects of incomprehensible (incomprehensible to me that is!) run in Terminal command line jiggery-pokery is there a fellow 'twelvie' who can lend off the cuff direction?
Chris, 3244

meds (Guest)

ifoxwell

Quote from: 520video looks fantastic !! .. .. except .. .. (no reflection on the video itself) I get a succession of 'stills'.
I run Firefox off the back of Ubuntu Linux 10.4 and can strrem BBC iplayer or YouTube content with no apparent problems - but some video, like vimeo, refuses to run properly.
Despite eschewing Windows XP for Linux and having a generally productive relationship with Linux for 18 months or more I'm not really that 'geeky'. I read 'Linux Format' (a mag'), 'techie' books, and sometimes find content in the Linux forums that answers questions in terms I can understand, but I haven't quite 'got my head around' the full breadth of issues surrounding 'plugins' and 'codecs' as they apply to a Linux convert.
There are some clever people number amongst 'twelvies', I know - though I ain't one of them. Before I immerse myself in geeky Linux forums and the propects of incomprehensible (incomprehensible to me that is!) run in Terminal command line jiggery-pokery is there a fellow 'twelvie' who can lend off the cuff direction?

For what its worth it jumps a lot on my XP box a well, but by default the film displays in HD mode. If you turn that off the quality is still more than acceptable and it plays fine... or at least it does on my pc.

Ian

Bim Daser (Guest)

Well done Tim! Excellent editing and timing with the music. 

You've just promoted yourself to chief N12 video person.

Looking forward to Race 3.

Bim

TimL (Guest)

Thanks for the comments!
Here is the final filmed race (I wasn't able to come down for the monday unfortunately)...it was raining so hard at times that keeping the lens clear was a bit of a nightmare, so I thought I'd do it in black and white, as it looks too washed out in colour.
http://www.vimeo.com/24645580

Cheers
Tim 8)

Alistair Edwards

Brilliant filming and editing! I have watched all of the films several times, with the volume turned up!
I think the black & white film is particularly dramatic.

I hope we can look forward to more films from you in future.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Flew

Brilliant films especially races 2 & 3. Best N12 films I've seen I think.

n12 Bottom Banner