National 12 - find out more...

Any news on Burton Week 2009

Started by thedodger, 02 Oct 2008, 06:22

« previous - next »

sam293

yeah cheers jeremy that was what i was trying to say, must proof read before i post

thedodger

Hi Antony, Tom W is not my name, Simon Walworth is as is clearly stated in my contribution when I say Tom Walworth is my son! Both Tom and I have 12's. Tom is at Bristol Uni I can assure you he has his third year exams then and is disappointed that he will probably miss the Championships. James and Elli are unlikely and I'm not sure about our other students at this stage.
I haven't been prepared to use the little time I get off (self employed) to go away for a week but will happily turn up with Rosie (my daughter) to Thorpe, even if it is the other side of the universe. ;D

Antony (Guest)

Simon,
You misunderstood, i know who you post as.  I think that you will find that 'student sailor' was probably your son Tom unwilling to identify himself for some reason.   I might be wrong..
It is good to see that almost every consituent part of the class has had a chance to express a view already, except of course those sailing at Ripon and Yeadon this weekend who went out in their boats instead of sitting on the computer at home.
Antony

Roly Mo

I am absolutely delighted that the Champs will be over 4 days and that I will only need to take 1 day of annual leave to be there.  I don't get much annual leave (oh to be a student!!!!) and there is no way I could do the champs if they were in the summer holidays and required me to take a week of leave.  Team Roly Mo will do all they can to be there in 2009 (crew needed if anyone wants to volunteer!) and hope it's a fantastic event. 
Well done Meds and Kevin for securing us this venue.:)
RM

PS  Ripon was a BLAST!  Well done to G and Z for showing it was possible to do all 3 races without a swim!

Jimbo41

Quote from: Antony (Guest)Simon,
You misunderstood, i know who you post as.  I think that you will find that 'student sailor' was probably your son Tom unwilling to identify himself for some reason.   I might be wrong..
It is good to see that almost every consituent part of the class has had a chance to express a view already, except of course those sailing at Ripon and Yeadon this weekend who went out in their boats instead of sitting on the computer at home.
Antony

OOOOOOH! Handbags at dawn? Seriously though folks, we could do without the unnecessary backbiting and to loosely translate Ciccero: "otherwise I'll write filthy and lude things about you on the Pub wall"...;)
I won't make BW, not only because I'll soon be out of the class being on the too heavy side but also because BW clashes with the Tasar Europeans in Scotland.  I do however think it's a shame that students won't be able to make it because of their impending exams.
Jim.

MarkSimpson

Jim, is that the pot calling the kettle black?

The impact on the students is unfortunate, however Jeremy is correct, you cannot revise/study effectively all day every day.  If you know you're going to be away sailing for 4 days, you have plenty of time to plan your work around it.
Almost all the feedback I've heard on the changes to the Champs is positive.  Moving away from the summer holidays will certainly make it possible for us to attend without affecting the family's summer holiday plans.  A venue away from the distant south west is a good change as well.  We'll be there.
Mark

Peter C (Guest)

Well done. This is a bold move that inevitably will not suit everyone.  However, there must be every chance that it will attract a lot of people (us included) who cannot or will not give up a full week in August, and for that reason alone it is worth trying.  Hope the camping is good......!
Peter C
N3239

Crusader 3244

Being new to the fleet it will be our first opportunity to attend (we hope to be there). It gets the thumbs up from me because it doesn't mean giving up so much annual leave to an event: and for Mrs P there's still a hope of there being time an money left for a 'normal' holiday. I'm looking forward to the BW micro-site.
If there are concerns over the decline of BW then the c'tee deserve support from the fleet for trying something different. Everybody has plenty of time to plan.

Students have my complete sympathy because it has the potential to be an anxious time. Nonetheless, with advance planning it is possible to turn the half term break and BW to HUGE advantage. Everybody knows frequent and bite-size revision is FAR better than cramming and also that the most successful students factor in time for relaxation. JC, MS and others have already said the same. As a break from conscientious study what more relaxing and absorbing pastime could there be than BW?

Why not begin a thread for students to share helpful info on revision plans and support  material?

-Chris
Chris, 3244

john chalker (Guest)

As intended the new format appears to have created lots of interest from owners (like me) who cannot or will not comit a week in august to sailing. Well done for the brave proposal. Looking forward to seeing N3239 again- a boat I built whilst studying for my A levels

Tasarteaser (Guest)

Quote from: 242Jim, is that the pot calling the kettle black?

The impact on the students is unfortunate, however Jeremy is correct, you cannot revise/study effectively all day every day.  If you know you're going to be away sailing for 4 days, you have plenty of time to plan your work around it.
Almost all the feedback I've heard on the changes to the Champs is positive.  Moving away from the summer holidays will certainly make it possible for us to attend without affecting the family's summer holiday plans.  A venue away from the distant south west is a good change as well.  We'll be there.
Mark

So this is the antidote for the falling numbers at BW eh? Let´s see....
Oh yes, I´ve had my gripes and moans, but nothing really personal. Call the kettle grey if you like Mark, but  it´s been a long time since I last cooked on a peat stove!!! Wonder how many real heavyweights are going to make it? 
Cheers and happy sailing to all...
Jim.

David_Wilkins

Jim
There will probably be more heavyweights there than there are real lightweights at a Finn championship! This is not the thread to pursue that old chestnut again but there really is a natural limit to the competitive weight range which results directly from the limited waterline length.  I have attended numerous Burton Weeks, have never failed to qualify for the Tubs Trophy (even won it once) with plenty of weight in reserve - even when the limit was a stone heavier. I've had great fun at each one  although I've never gone there seriously believing that I can win, and that's never been just a weight issue. Burton Week offers great racing throughout the fleet over a wide weight range and is a brilliant social occassion.

I've no doubt that our committee have given a huge amount of thought and debate to this very significant change in the format. It s impossible to please all all the time. My view for what its worth, is that the event is likely to be the best attended Championhships the Class has seen for many years.  I'm sure that the most conciencous students will still be able to find a few days in their revision schedules to enjoy the event even if they perhaps decide to miss one of the days to feel more confident of their results.
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

Jimbo41

Quote from: 47
There really is a natural limit to the competitive weight range which results directly from the limited waterline length. quote]
David, that's why my boat is up for  - Archimedes and 12 feet have beaten me. By way, I'm moving her over to Spinnaker in the first week of November, since the market's better in GB for a class that's virtually unknown outside the UK. If anyone is interested in her, please let me know. Sorry for the pump on the BW thread, but it's difficult selling at a distance. :)
Jim (soon) ex. N3470

jimmy

well now
       I do believe this new formatt could bring at lest one boat from the whitehead house hold, two might be pushing it........ It is eary enough not to clash with any SB3 stuff. Talking of SB3's they do the 4 day formatt and it works really well, they get 20 plus boats at events, not bad when you have 4 people to organise! As far as students apply speaking from experance smell what you are speaking! Your telling me you will spend your bank holiday in your room with your books and not in the pub?? Yeah right! I never worked that weekend, though did try! So you only lose one day.......hmmm not that big a lose in my view.
     To bring this to a close, a 4 day event does work for the people in full time employment( last time i looked was most of the 12 fleet), as they only lose one day of holiday and not 5. So for the niche, students are because i look through the results and i cant see that many, it may not work but for the masses it does therefore the lesser of two evils...

Jimmy
Soggy Moggie (still in the house)

Jane Wade

Quote from: 499As far as students apply speaking from experance smell what you are speaking! Your telling me you will spend your bank holiday in your room with your books and not in the pub??  

Jimmy I just love that quote - you have put into a few short words exactly what I was thinking!

Bring on the four day champs at Thorpe Bay - I cannot wait for a long weekend in the sunny Essex.  I reckon we could hit 90 boats - students or not.
Jane
Crew 3512 Alpha Male

Jimbo41

Ok, just walk the talk, that's all. Students are in a minority here. The demography has shifted to the working class and what class we've got.....

Jane, with a name like your boat's got, looks like you'll be at the front of the fleet, apart from the Cindy Doll colour - Ken would have been a better name .(Just joking, so hit me ;):P). Anyway, happy sailing.

n12 Bottom Banner