National 12 - find out more...

Burghfield Winter series- back by popular demand!

Started by Jeremy C, 03 Oct 2008, 02:11

« previous - next »

Jeremy C

For the first time this year I didn't want to get out of bed this morning because the penguins that had migrated in the cold weather were there and waiting!
What does this mean I hear you ask? (apart from the fact I should be wearing a straight jacket of course!)
Well it means that unfortunately winter is coming..... but is it so unfortunate.... Well I don't think so and nor do many people who have been talking to me...

Why.....

Well its time for the burghfield Winter Series plans to be made public. For those not in the know, I started this series for 12's last year and it proved to be a very enjoyable experience, some fantastic winds, stylish swims, and just a great reason to not hibernate your sailing desire until March.
So how does it run? The series is based on six sundays between November and February, with two races on each of the days. The fleet links in with the Burghfield club racing unless there are sufficient entries to have our own start (about 12-15 boats) Of the twelve races run you can discard five, giving great opportunity to improve your results.
Cost I hear you ask? The cost is £5 per boat per day, and you would need to register each time you sail, but if you think you can do the whole series then there is a £5 discount with the total cost paid at the first event date of £25.00. Prize giving for the event which will include prizes for DB and admirals cup boats and if needed vintage too will be at the end of the final days racing. Boats can be left at the club in secure area between race days but check with me first!

Start times are 11am and approx 1.30 pm each day.
Dates for the events are as follows:

23rd November races 1+2
7th december races 3+4
Break for christmas
4th January races5+6
18th January races 7+8
1st February races 9+10
15th february 11+12

If you are considering taking part could you show your interest by replying to this thread so that I can do some advance planning!!
If you are not sure and want further info please don't hesitate to get in touch with me, numbersw in the handbook or mail me at:
 jeremy@designs42.net

Hope to see you all there, it was a blast last year and reckon it'll be the same again.

Jeremy Carey

Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Jeremy C

Forgot to add a link to Burghfield website for those who want to know where it is.
www.burghfieldsailing.org

Jeremy

Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

John Meadowcroft

We should make some of these dates.  Count us in.
John

Andy and Adele (Guest)

We hope to be able to attend as many as possible.
Andy and Adele

mutt

Jeremy C

I have a spare crew available for the winter series. She has in the past sailed an RS200(well somebody has to!) but she is very very keen to get into twelve sailing, so if anybody is thinking of the series but does not have constant or available crew please mail me or put a note on the string and I'll put you in touch.
She is lightweight, and a good sailor though with little 12 experience.
Already booked for 7/12 though!
Jeremy

Bart

I'll be there, except for 23rd Nov. Steve and Andy have now joined Burghfield so hopefully that will be another 12.

N3455

grazz

We are aiming to do as many as we can with a combination of babysitters and crew-sharing. 
Graham & Zoe

tom lee

I'll be there.
Would be nice to have a few other AC's !!
Tom<br />N3545

sam293

il be there in the front of bart, as will caroline doing the steering bit.

steve norbury

As Burghfields newest N12 members we will be attending. See you all there!

Jeremy C

The forecast is looking like we are going to have a great start to the series this Sunday, a westerly wind of between 15-20MPH. A great direction for the lake so should allow for a good course and not too shifty!
1st start at about 11am but if you could find me to register before hand that would be great.
Just heard from Jon and Charl and they are planning on joining in the fun this weekend so if there is anyone else sitting on the fence about whether to trundle up- looks like it might be an idea to come down, as it should be vaguely reminiscent of the Inlands at Northampton!

Andy and Adele (Guest)

Hi,
We're really sorry but unfortunately we won't be able to make this Sunday as Loki is at Aardvark HQ and Andy is team racing (silly boy!).
Hope much fun is had and that we make it to the next one!
Andy Douglas and Adele Cameron

Jeremy C

Report and results after day 1

Nine boats braved the somewhat cool  and wet (on occasions torrential!) weather for the first day of the series, and the wind did not disappoint. Though it started light, it built throughout the day and in the first race provide some vicious gusts as it clocked round from the west.

Race one and the first course was set on shore for the wind but by the time the committee boat had reached the starting area a new course was needed so after a small delay the boats got away in good order. Graham and Claire chose to take the left but the first beat (which with the wind clocking round seemed brave) but it paid off and were first to the windward mark, closely followed by Jono and Charl. Steve and Andy came round in third with Jeremy and George in fourth place. Nigel and Chris weren't far behind in their Numinous, whilst Chris Rowland (George's brother who normally sails a 400) was getting to grips with both Caroline Martin's loaned 12 and a crew who had never set foot in a twelve before. It was great to see Both Tom (in his crusader) and Rosie white (sailing Eric her paper Dart) out braving the conditions as the wind became more testing.
By the end of the first lap Graham and Jono were having a battle at the front, Steve was enjoying a peaceful cruise and Jeremy and Nigel were having a good tussle. As the wind gusted in things started to change a bit and Jeremy and George left Nigel and Chris in their wake and started to make slow in-roads into the lead that Steve had over them. Meanwhile, at the front, a gybing error from Graham allowed Jono to gain the lead but immediately graham started fighting back. As the end came in sight Jono managed to hold off Graham, Steve crossed the line three seconds clear of Jeremy and Chris Rowland took the fifth place as Nigel and Chris had suffered from an earlier gusty gybing swim.  Unfortunately Rosie had to retire after overfilling the boat with a swim (and not managing to get enough speed to drain it) whilst Tom and Sam brought up the rear.

Race 2 and Alex Bale and his son Josh had managed to join the fleet after slight hic-up on his trip up from spinnaker. The sun came out over lunch and the wind seemed a constant F3 so Graham took to baysitting duties and gave Zoe a chance to get on the water. Unfortunately it was a typical Burghfield day and no sooner had boats launched when the wind came back with a vengence and had everyone planing to the start line in a good 20-25knt gust. Zoe and Claire, on a dead run at the time, and light in the boat, buried it to- and beyond the mast and took a swim before they really got a chance to get going, whilst Jeremy looked on in awe (wishing he had a camera in the boat) as Jono and Charl tried to leave as little of the boat as possible in the water as they reached to the startline!

A depleted fleet  got away for the second start with little trouble (the wind had dropped a bit but was still a good F4) and this time the order was a little different with Jono taking first place by the windward mark, closely followed by Jeremy, Chris Rowland, and Steve (who sailed off the course at this point due to Andy, his crew, having to be somewhere else!), Tom and Alex.

Jeremy and George closed up on Jono and Charl on the first broad reach and were a couple of lengths away at the leward mark, but made the cardinal error of touching it. In the ensuing 360 in a bit too much wind to make it comfortable, the gybe turned into a capsize and a visit for the mast, to the mud at the bottom of the lake! By the time they righted it , Jono and Charl were well clear, Chris and Vicki had passed them and there was a bit to do. However, the next beat saw a problem with their sail and they had to retire. Meawhile Alex and his son had also taken to the shore (it was a bit too windy!) leaving Rosie a clear third place. From this point on the places remained the same until the final short beat, with Jono taking his second bullet of the day(not only on his speed but also being the only boat of the day to avoid a swim!), Rosie taking a well deserved second place enjoying the fact that Eric was now fully buoyant and going well and Chris taking third (after a gutting swim at the final leward mark from which he took a long time to recover).

So overall it was a great start to the series, a little chilly to be sure,with all the thrills and spills of last seasons event evident, and has set the tone for the next event in two weeks time. Alex thoroughly enjoyed his first visit to BSC in ten years, so much so he has left his boat there ready for the next event! My only disappointment was there were no budding photographers around to record some of the wild conditions we all experienced!

maybe next time......................
Full results:
http://www.burghfieldsailing.org/content/results/show.php?page=2009_open_n12_winter.htm
PM Results not quite right at present but will be corrected tomorrow!

Jeremy C

Its looking like a light wind affair for round two of the winter series, complete with a bit of sun if we're lucky. Looking forward to seeing some new boats on the water- particulalrly the new owner of 3466 if he can make it ! (I believe he's moving house the previous day!).
With 83.3% of the vote on the home page of the 12 site saying that 12 sailors are a hardy bunch, lets hope to see you all there!
First race kicks off at 11am and just as a reminder the club operates a 6-3-0 start sequence with the N12's starting after the assymetric fleet.

Might have a spare crew available if there is need- just contact me
Hope to see you there

Jeremy

n12 Bottom Banner