National 12 - find out more...

BW - updates???

Started by THG, 26 May 2009, 12:16

« previous - next »

THG

Guess everyone there has been too busy enjoying the fine weather to make any results known!!  Did find out Jo Richards won the Burton Cup - well done with the new design.  Looked on the TBYC site and not found any results there either.
THG

Fran G (Guest)

I can tell you a few bits:-

Saturday - Very light winds.  Jo and Sophie scored 1,2.  Tom and Liz were lying second, not sure of scores.  Antony and Jo didn't have a good day and nor did Jonno and Charlotte.  (Clues here to who I have spoken to).

Sunday - Excellent conditions - quote from Antony so probably a force 3 and sunny.  Jo and Sophie won both races.  Antony and Jo second in both.  Don't know much else but at the end of Sunday Jo and Sophie clearly winning, from Tom with 12 points.

Monday - Burton Cup, very windy.  Jo and Sophie overtook Tom and Liz on the final reach to win.  Antony and Jo third.

Today - don't know.

Apologies for not knowing any admirals cup or vintage news.

Fran G

RickP (Guest)

So with today to go Jo & Sophie have scored 1,2,1,1,1 is that correct?
Fantastic performance in their new boat ...

FuzzyDuck

Today was very windy though dont know the numbers but 2 more masts went. Only 23 boats finished the last race.
Jo won both races today so only didn't win first race which went to Graham and Zoe.
2nd Tom & Liz
3rd Antony & Jo
4th Kevin & Jane
5th Jon & Char
I'm sure full results will be up soon
Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

chopper

Hope everyone enjoyed burton week I couldnt make it down in the end had too much to do hopefully get some opens in so i can meet you all

regards paul

MikeDay

Just back - great event.  No-one has said here that we had 80 entries!!!  Jo and Sophie were terrific in all conditions. Oh, and we were one of the broken masts today ... it was windy.
Mike D
N3496

Andy Hill

Back from Thorpe Bay, we had a great weekend and thank you very much to everyone at the club and especially Kevin & Lesley; and all those from the association who made the event happen.
Andy:)

Mike S (Guest)

Also just back and can echo what Mike said (his was the most comprehensively broken mast by the way). I counted 3 other masts in 2 pieces. We broke the boom at the gooseneck and no doubt there were many more other casualties.
Although Burton Cup was very windy at the start it progressively dropped and the last beat was a slow F1/2. Today was just seriously windy.

Phil David won the AC overall and Jonathan Rubin won the vintage.
Overall it was great sailing with all possible conditions over the 4 days and everything else contributing to a great event - well organised, convenient location for a good proportion of the fleet, good RO, good club facilities, onsite camping, easy sail to race area...and the Red Arrows...twice. Roll on Weymouth and lets hope its a 4 day weekender again and we can muster 80 boats again.

Mike S
N3491

OMSC

I thought it was 5 masts today, 3 masts yesterday, one boat holed on the road, a lot of carbon looking decidedly twisted.

the insurers must be very busy.  in the 80 boats there were 27 qualifying for AC, and either 7 or 8 vintage within that. and sunburn, lots of sunburn.

as a first time visitor to BW, along with a lot of others, I have to say the welcome was amazing, the shoreside very slick, rescue cover very professional (thanks for towing me in today guys) course setting was tricky in the first few days because of the fickle winds and spring tides, but todays courses were amazing. Above everything else, the sailors themselves were all so welcoming, and open with advice and historical trivia.  I met the guy who helped build my boat, several past owners who described exactly which bits they damaged and when, and more than enough people who were willing to help me set it up too.  The manners also extended to on the water in the mid to low fleet, and even extended to tips from the leaders as they lapped me in the Burton Cup on how to go quicker.

I cannot wait for the fotoboat pictures to come up, and to get to the next events.  Roll on next year's BW.

Derek

Any chance of an update on the "Burton Week" website or at least a link to the results. Perhaps if you didn't go, you don't deserve to share in the excitment?! Well done Jo and Sophie - that should stimulate some new boats then!

Jeremy C

I'll update the Burton week website as soon as I have the relevant information and/or links. But whilst I am here I wopuld like to echo just what a fantastic event it was, very well organised and run, superb and challenging sailing, sun, warm, wind.
Sorry t those who couldn't make it - it really was great and roll on next year!

Jeremy
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Mark Jardine

Hi Jeremy and all

Please keep me posted at YachtsandYachting.com with the news - I've had tons of emails asking what happened and how come I haven't got the results up! So far I've only received a photo of Jo and Sophie after winning the Burton Cup.
Email any information you want published to mark at yachtsandyachting.com
Also a quick question, is the Burton Cup race regarded as the National Championship or the whole regatta?

Many thanks!
Mark

MikeDay

Mark

The National Championship is the week as a whole - and the winner wins a wonderful old trophy called the Silver National.  The Burton Cup is our most prestigious race with lots of traditions attached.  Quite often, the Burton Cup winner doesn't win the champioship week, but no doubt about who's best this year ...

Mike D
N3496

Lukepiewalker

I've always considered the Burton Winner to be National Champion myself...

Chadders

Correction to a statement above Jonathan did not win the vintage!  Tim Gatti and Yvonne McInnes won the overall vintage points (Shotgun Trophy presented by Paul Turner and Mike Nokes) Howard and Liz were 2nd and the first vintage in the Burton Cup was Howard Chadwick and Liz Wady with Tim and Yvonne second with a boat length between at the finish line.
I have done several Burtons since 1967 but not been since 1990 however this one was the best by far and am looking forward to next year at Weymouth.  Well done to all concerned for a great event on and off the water the 4 day format worked well and the numbers say it all in my view.  As an aside non of the vintage boats suffered damage due to the wild conditions as far as I am aware although Jonathan did spring a plank which he fixed with window sealant without the need for an insurance claim!  Paul Turner also needs a prize for his back flip from a high speed China Doll, very spectacular!  Howard C aka Chadders

n12 Bottom Banner