National 12 - find out more...

Arms race at Spinnaker

Started by thedodger, 20 Aug 2009, 12:24

« previous - next »

thedodger

The arrival of Jeremy's new Foolish and the long awaited arrival of Ian's new boat has had Phil Brown reaching for the cheque book in a desperate attempt to maintain his position near the front end of the fleet.
What to do? My gut feeling is to keep Jammy Dodger as she is still the one to beat even with the Chapter hull at a disadvantage on the lake, especially in light airs. Before I had a problem at Swanage regatta none of the Spinnaker boats could live with her so with Weymouth coming should I keep her or move on? The new Angel mast is awesome and performance has really improved, but me thinks I'll struggle against these lake specials.
Is it time for a different boat or should I just work on improving our inland perfomance?
Suggestions please...
ps. Graham, what would you do? Is your boat coming to market?
Simon

Phil Brown

Dear (worried) Simon
Desperate?!?!? Who broke his boat (yet again!!) in a DESPERATE attempt not to be beaten at the finish??? Not me guv, I wasn't there. ANYWAY, whose son was it that won in our boat on Wednesday??

Time to keep the boat on the water long enough to finish the (any) race if you ask me. And, wonderful though Angel masts are. it's no use when the jib halyard zippers its way down the front of the mast when the exit sheave pings out, is it?? (how many insurance claims is that?)

I'll tell you if it's a lake special when we get it on the water, until then, in terms of performance, as a friendly tip, I'd take a more than passing glance at boat preperation (being one of the 9 basics), and, as they say, to finish first, first you've got to finish.

Keep it up ( that's carbon over plastic Simon)

Cheers
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Mikey C (Guest)

Woo - handbags at dawn!

thedodger

No Mikey, just banter!
Phil, If I'd set off the time Thomas did I would have won (on the basis I didn't break something - which I managed!)...
I've just had a very interesting email, more later on that....

thedodger

Sam's just driven off with our boat and a very big smile on his face! Enjoy her!
Now, what to do....

Phil Brown

I know, you'll be after our Design 8, quick boat that, you'd be able to see the inside of the transom instead of the outside!!!

thedodger

We'll see about that Mr B! Been fishing today, caught a beaut....

Phil Brown

But will Ian's be better finished??   So long . . . . .    ;)

grazz

Simon, I like the look of of your new boat, nice rounded transom, a perfect boat for Spinnaker ;). Can we expect a fine display of acrobatics from Team Spinnaker spelling as a final message to the Earth prior to demolishion?

Had a tuning session with Sam in the Chapter on Sunday, it should go well at Burghfield.

PS Should the thread be titled "Flipper" race rather than "Arms" race?

Happy sailing

Grazz

Phil Brown

Trust the dolphins to get in on the act!

Can I suggest a rename - "Don't Panic"   ;D

Personally, I think a radical change of thinking is required  :)

thedodger

So you recognised an old friend then Graham (and Zoe). A better bet for our small lake...
I reckon JD will be mucho better on a bigger piece of water, she is simply awesome in a breeze as Sam will soon discover.
Simon

A nonny mouse (Guest)

Remember Simon,

with lake sailing it's not what you've got, it's where you stick it  ;)
Sure you'll have fun with the Numinous but I suspect the black sticky up bit will prove to have a magnetic attraction to the waters surface...  8)8)

thedodger

dear a nonny mouse
The idea of banter is we know who or where the banter comes from...
Say who you are or bog off!
After a pipedream, a dare special and my beautiful chapter we understand tippy boats!

sam293

i know its a bit of a pain, and sorry for going off topic but can we take away the guest feature on here and only allow posts to be made by logged in users, to save this kind of thing??

also simon, jd really does fly in big wind! as we found out on sunday!

thedodger

Quote from: A nonny mouse (Guest)Remember Simon,

with lake sailing it's not what you've got, it's where you stick it  ;)
Sure you'll have fun with the Numinous but I suspect the black sticky up bit will prove to have a magnetic attraction to the waters surface...  8)8)

The Final Chapter has not capsized while being sailed by the owner at Spinnaker this season, now what's the record for a certain design 8? The words glass and stones come to mind!!! I realise I have got to learn some new tricks with the Fishy thing but am looking forward to learning how to get her going and keep the rig above her.

n12 Bottom Banner