National 12 - find out more...

Bloody Mary?

Started by tom white, 04 Mar 2010, 08:45

« previous - next »

tom white

Hi ive just hurd that bad weather is going to come along for this weekend
i was just wondering is this true? and if so will the race still go on?
Tom White N2765

sam293

chances are yes, it was -6 last year and we still sailed even with snow, ice, and very frozen / ice rinkyey boats

Mike S (Guest)

If I can persuade the crew to come I'm bringing de-icer this year.
Mike S
N3491

Moon Shallow

Just wondering how many 12's are going?
My new gloves came through the post today so atleast my hands will be warm!
Naomi

Jane Wade

Kevin and I will be there and yes it does look like a weather repeat of last year.  The boat was extremely icy by the end of the race last year.  I have never sailed in such cold.  Pulling the boat back up the toboggan run at the end was entertaining but the shot of whiskey at the top of the 'slip'way helped.  I think there might be some breeze this year though...

Mr M. Fish (Guest)

Yep â€" it’ll feel much warmer in that brisk northerly.

grazz

Zoe's worked up the perfect excuse having just popped out nipper number 2. If only the race was shorter she could fit it in between feeds :) If we manage to get any sleep between now and the weekend and Clare manages to dig herself out of her house then we will be there.

Graham, Zoe, Anya & Felix

Jerry G (Guest)

Congratulations Graham & Zoe!  Good to know the next generation of N12 sailors is coming along.  He should be helming by the 90th anniversary of the class, don't you think?

Tim Gatti

Queen Mary SC published the following announcement on their website this afternoon Friday 8th January 2010
 following their 2pm review of the Bloody Mary pursuit event due to take place tomorrow:
"We have made the decision to proceed with holding the Bloody Mary Pursuit Race tomorrow Saturday 9th January .
Competitors are reminded that it is due to be very cold and should ensure that they are adequately dressed for the conditions."
May I wish all 12 sailors entering the event the very best of luck!!  Tim

Jane Wade

It may go ahead but the number of 12s sailing is dwindling. Kevin and I have decided to give it a miss, probably because we are getting older and our blood is a bit thin!

Tim Gatti

Looks like it may be down to the youth section to uphold the good name and standing of the National 12's this year.
Tom and Sam - are you still planning to sail?  Good luck if you are - you all deserve a medal! Tim

tom white

Sorry to let the youth side down tim/sam :(
because of the weather me and my crew have not been able to make it down. :(
but there is good news :D i have now started making my new carbon mast :D
should be finished before burton week :D hopefully will help me de-power in a blow upwind, go faster down wind and lighten Le Shed just that little more :D

Tom White 2765

Andy Hill

Hi all,
Waiting to speak to Steve about the Bloody Mary tomorrow who is working at the boat show. Collected the boat from him last weekend to bring it to snowy High Wycombe. He was keen to do the event especially as we have tactically moved up the weight division over Christmas & New Year gaining much needed insulation in the process.
Happy New Year all,
Andy 

Moon Shallow

Were at Queen Mary today was a shae to see no 12's out there. but dont blame anybody in those conditions. A brave 60people entered.. not many finished. Many came in due to the cold, physically blue! Control lines and mainsheet were freezing soon as water came in contact with them, so they were basically pipe-cleaners.  One laser had iceikles off the boom!
It was a brilliantly set course with the start with in view of the club house and one of the marks even nearer. I just hope that all that went out hae now warmed up! I was cold enough watching with out swimming!
Naomi

Jane Wade

Last year was viciously cold with control lines frozen and the bottom of the boat like an ice rink - I deserve a medal for doing it once in those conditions but twice would definitely equal insanity.  Look forward to seeing everyone at the end of the month for the Steve Nicholson Race which will no doubt seem positively tropical in comparison to the weather we are having now.
Jane

n12 Bottom Banner