National 12 - find out more...

GRAFHAM CANCELLED

Started by Jane Wade, 16 Sep 2010, 11:54

« previous - next »

Jane Wade

I have just seen an email from Tom Stewart stating the Inlands this weekend are postponed - the water has been closed because of an infestation of killer shrimp.  I kid you not, read more here - http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/123215.aspx

Antony (Guest)

The good news is they do not actually kill anything much bigger than a small fish, the bad news is that they can mess up a good weekend plan.  Thank you to all the people who put in the work to organise it, Tom & Char obviously but also others at our end and at GWSC.
Anybody fancy picking up the boat we took to Cambridgeshire last weekend and bringing it back to Suffolk for us?  Not to worry, can always take the boys to Duxford....
Might make more effort to make it to Northampton in November now!
Antony

Moon Shallow

Hopefully they havn't spread any further. Grafham are currently working on the problem ..."The authorities are investigating the introduction of chemical wash down facilities but have to first look at the implications for water quality" (from email sent to me by the club) So something will be sorted soon!!!!
Now looking forward to November even more!
Naomi

Adele (Guest)

What a shame!
Antony, we're flying in to Luton tomorrow evening and heading for Suffolk. If the Larks aren't rescheduled else where we're happy to pick up your boat and bring it with us. Please can you text Andy or myself so that we have your number and so can confirm.

Moon Shallow

If the larks are managing to reschedule ... cant we?? Most clubs would probably love us to go play there

Michael

Where are the Larks going?  Cant we tag along.......

Adele (Guest)

I said 'if' just in case the Larks did reschedule and therefore we couldn't pick up Antonys boat!
Antony, judging by the Lark forum it looks like we shall be picking up your boat. Please can you call us on: 07765223364.
Love from Tuscany, Andy and Adele x

Charlotte Stewart

Looking at the Lark website, unfortunately they don't appear to have been able to organise anything at 24 hours notice either.  Tom did check with Northampton and it is too short notice to be able to organise. 
Antony / Adele - if you look at the GWSC website, they have locked the gates as of 12 noon today and are not letting any boats out.

Jane Wade

I would be amazed if you could find another venue at such short notice - Northampton is also under the threat of closure...

Moon Shallow

Charlotte - I have sent you an email on the possibilty of Datchet?!?!

Tim Gatti

Here's a pic of the little blighter - they grow to about 30mm long... let the EA know if you see one anywhere else and send a frozen sample if you can.

Meds (Guest)

Dont be upset that this cannot be rearranged at the last minute.  there is more to it than all of us agreeing to go somewhere.  We need safety, people to give up their time, food to eat, people to cook it etc.
When the call is received in the middle of the working day saying an event cant happen those who are working will seek to tell as many people as possible about the cancellation and then get back to work rather than trying to find a plan B.
The only fishy thing is that Charlotte and Jonno are leading the Gill Series, Char is organising it and we have lost an event!  I actually dont think this is very fishy either, but if you want a conspiracy maybe this is it...
So I suppose we need to make one of the remaining events this year the 2010 Inlands.  Lets see your votes for Twickenham, Ripon, Yeadon, Salcombe, Tynemouth or Northampton.  I believe that "inland" does not mean "non-salt water" or "non-tidal" and that both Salcombe and Tynemouth can qualify...

Antony (Guest)

Adele,  thank you very much for the offer but do not worry.  The boat is outside a friends house and it is not the end of the world for us to go back that way and recover it.  We might even take the boys to Duxford to see the aeroplanes...
Char - as above, the Hayles driveway is open for business!
Meds - If Char manages to can the Northampton event too then i will be calling for a stewards enquiry.  That said i agree it all seems a little unlikely... she has always seemed quite keen on going sailing in the past rather than just collecting trophies.
Antony
N3348

Kevin

Meds, I can't believe you did not include beer in YOUR list of things to be organised!

Also, technically there is nothing fishy about this at all as I think you will find the shrimp is a crustacean, but that's boring..........

Kevin

Meds (Guest)

I vote for Salcombe - they have a good choice of beers.  interestingly Twickenham YC sells London Pride though.

n12 Bottom Banner