National 12 - find out more...

Vintage Twelve Census, 2011

Started by ken goddard, 14 Nov 2010, 09:22

« previous - next »

ken goddard

Sometime in this spring I offered to undertake a census of all the Vintage Twelves still around (clinker-built, wooden boats). You may remember that I published such a list in 2004; it seemed a good idea to do this again for our 75th anniversary.
Howard Chadwick agreed with this and I have been quietly collecting a list of candidate boats since then, much helped by our Class Archivist Ed Willett and his scrutiny of ebay. When I announced this Census earlier, I asked that all Vintage Twelve owners who read our Discussion Board to let me know of the boats that they owned, even though I had some knowledge of many of them. Unfortunately the response was patchy.
Please could all those who haven't done so, please send to me a 'one line' email of their vintage boats owned to, goddards.peartreehouse@btinternet.com or phone me on 01332 521168.
It is clear from the data compiled so far that the list is going to be a lot shorter than that of 2004, but be aware that that was assembled from up to 4 years work, not one year, as this one. There are reasons for this and I will discuss this when I publish in 2011.
It is clear from what is expected to be a shorter list that the Vintage Twelves that remain will become a an increasingly rare and valuable collection. Keep those old boats in good repair!                             
Ken Goddard N.2300 Duodecimal

Ed (Guest)

Ken et al
I personally feel that there are a lot more boats out there than we think - if you look at the For Sale listings on this website and those that appear on eBay and Apollo Duck very few are entered on the Boat Database on this website. Its the age old challenge of how to bring those boats and owners back into the fold!
:)??
cheers
Ed

n12 Bottom Banner