National 12 - find out more...

Bloody Mary Pursuit on 8th January 2011

Started by grazz, 05 Dec 2010, 07:44

« previous - next »

grazz

Anyone fancy another spot of Winter sailing. We're planning to go, it is usually good fun. Apparently there is a discount for entries made before the 5th Jan. Details at http://www.thebloodymary.org.uk.
Hope to see lots of 12s there

Moon Shallow

The Bloody Mary is one of 4races counting towards the Sail Juice series. The other opens being Grafham Grand Prix, Steve Nicholson and the Tiger Trophy. There is one discard. It is a was a good series last year, as spectator, particularly the Bloody Mary in that horrible weather, but I am most looking forward to joining in this year! Sail Juice had some great prizes last year for the winners, including a holiday learning to sail Moths in Spain! Just turning up to these events really does pay off, my brother won first single hander in the series last year for turning up to all the events, and reading the notice of race at the Hoo Freezer! More info on the series can be found at: http://www.sailracer.us/eventsites/content.asp?id=1501&eventid=51516
Looking forward to seeing some more 12's taking part!
Naomi

JayHaich

I'd like to do this, crew wanted for N3474 Master of Puppets.  Jeremy.

Le Shed

Would love to do this event but again :( trouble to get boat there, Good luck though for everyone who goes :)

Jane Wade

The current plan in for Kevin and I to be there in Snagglepuss.

Mike S (Guest)

Start times are published. 12s are off at +25, which by my calculations is an effective PY of 1079. Windy forecast!

Alistair Edwards

I will be there, but not in a 12. I am crewing in an RS200, and hoping to avoid swimming!
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Alistair Edwards

The 12s did extremely well. Graeme and Zoe 5th, Jon and Sophie 7th, Tom Stewart & Rachel 12th.
5 N12s in the top 30. A total of 8 N12 s took part.

Overall winner an International 14.

238 boats entered, but only 195 finished as the strong winds during the first hour took their toll.

Crewing in the RS 200 was fun but missing our start, a capsize on a gybe and a problem with the way we rigged the kite resulted in 178th position. I think I had better take Catatonic next year.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Jane Wade

Hi 

The Twelves did very well.  I am slightly bitter this morning because when the gun went there were four twelves in the top 12 but by the time we crossed the finish line many faster boats who were just on our transom had blasted past.  Graham and Jonno did however do exceptionally well.  

Jane

johnk

The finish place in a Pursuit Race is often tricky to define.
 At my first Sailing Club we had a fixed start/finish line. When the time was up all boats completed the lap that they were on until they crossed the finish line and that then gave finish postions. With a lap taking 10 to 15 minutes and a 60 min race this meant that many boats raced for 65 to 75 minutes and the start intervals should have been (but were not) calculated for a 70 min race. 
An alternative is to record positions at the exact finish time. This works for a smallish fleet but not for a fleet the size of the Bloody Mary.
A modern solution would be to fit each boat with a GPS transponder and record the exact boat position at the finish time. You would then need to combine this with the real time wind direction to calculate the finish positions on beats and runs.

Lukepiewalker

Other options are (if you have lots of powerboats) to finish everyone at the next mark at/after the finish time. This requires a boat at each mark. Option 745323 is to have a powerboat drive back round the course finishing everyone as they go down. Neither method is without its flaws...

n12 Bottom Banner