National 12 - find out more...

2208 the strip continues !

Started by moggseyb, 24 Feb 2012, 02:41

« previous - next »

moggseyb

Hello all it's me again I have now completed sandind down the varnish back down to bare wood ( will try and post pictures over the weekend) Next part is the inside which is varnish with floor painted.My question is can I use paint stripper as I am not going to be able to get at all of the wood with a power sander. I dont want to damage the glue if it came in contact with the stripper. Many thanks in advance .Moggsey b

intheboatshed

Hot air gun and scrapper works well, but be careful you dont burn the wood underneath (by pionting the gun at the same place for too long).
Use paint stripper on the 'fiddly' bits. Make sure the area is VERY well ventilated.
Tim

angus

I have used both and these days prefer paint stripper, it will remove surface epoxy but so will a hot air gun I think if it is well set in joints it is not a problem, well 2153 is still in one piece. I always worry with a hot air gun what it is doing internally to the plywood, do no if it is a problem I am sure there are peopler out there who can tell us. My main reason for not using hot air (beiside the fact that I generat too much any way) is that I am all ways too impatient and end up singing the wood somewhere along the line.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Martin 1262 (Guest)

Hi. From personal experience if you are planning to remove the paint from the wood inside you may find that getting all the paint removed be it paint stripper hot air gun or sander is a chore as invariably the paint gets into the grain and is really tough to remove fully. If you varnish afterwards then all scraps of paint needs to go and from experience I gave up and just painted it again. Not ideal but if I knew then what I know now I would not have bothered.  Also the paint may be covering some poor repair, stripping off and you will find out and make you think was it worth the effect. That's said try a section and see how you do, you might strike lucky!!!!

n12 Bottom Banner