National 12 - find out more...

1992 Burton Week video

Started by edwillett, 24 Mar 2012, 08:48

« previous - next »

edwillett

Hi all
I recently uncovered a video cassette of film footage recorded by Gerry Ledger at the 1992 Burton week. Despite being almost beyond recovery I have managed to download nearly 2 hours of footage to my Mac. I am now pondering what to do with it! There is some brilliant coverage andd for the time being I am uploading byte sized chunks to You-tube (with Gerry's kind permission)....bear with me as it takes a huge amount of time, and these are just raw chunks from the original footage not a polished and editted film with music....but if you were there you will almost certainly be on film! If you werent have a look at a time when AC boats were the forefront of technology, the Final Chapters had just appeared and were taking the Crusaders, Baggys and Design 8's on in a head to head and Messr's Pelling and Simpkins could smoke anyone downwind in a breeze!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEdwillett

Tim Gatti

Nice work Ed (and Gerry)
You can hear that little outboard straining to keep up with the 12's on the reaches!
Guess this must have been before steady-cams were invented

Tim

gerry ledger

Yes Tim, I was useing a simple water proof camera lent by I cant remember who and the rib was a bit bouncy for closeups.

Tim Gatti

I was thinking you did remarkably well under the circumstances!

edwillett

Just uploaded the footage of Mike Shallow trialling a spinnaker on N3313 to a large crowd of N12 onlookers on the beach....

andymck

I remember being in that group watching Mike show off his pace in not much wind. I had just been introduced to Phil Morrison who also was taking more than a passing interest.
Looks very much like the 200, which appeared just a couple of years later. I thought it was a fantastic idea at the time.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

edwillett

Thats an interesting thought Andy...perhaps this footage shows the sea trials of the prototype RS200....

n12 Bottom Banner