National 12 - find out more...

Info for Salcombe...?

Started by Will Willett, 20 Apr 2012, 03:11

« previous - next »

Will Willett

Considering going to Salcombe for the May open meeting - can anyone advise on best campsites and whether they need to be booked way in advance...?
It is likely to be a late decision dependent on weather forecasts and work requirements around that time.  Any info would be much appreciated...  Assume the launching area is down the concrete slip near the crab / fish quay at the bottom of the hill (near the big car park)?

Dave Croft

http://www.higherrew.co.uk/ - run by the Squire's family who are very nice and members of SYC
- Regards, Dave

Antony (Guest)

Will,
The nice thing about Salcombe in early May is that it is not packed with people, and so I would be surprised if you had any trouble with a late call on camping or indeed other accomodation.  Most of the fleet end up trying to negotiate cheap weekend deals on the houses, something you would be laughed at for trying come June!
You are correct about the launching, Batson Creek Car and Boat park is probably the official name.  Unlike in the summer the boats live there all weekend, rather than being transferred to the beaches on the other side.  It is a nice event for being over three days, with more time to chat, compare boats, bimble and those other things that 12 sailors seem to enjoy..... like ice cream.
I am sure that nearer the time the locals will be on here with more information about timing/socials etc.
Hope to see you there,
Antony

Carbonara

I usually camp at Ilton Farm Campsite. Its on the left off the road from Malborough to Salcombe. Its got good views being on top of the hill but its a good walk into Salcombe. Details can be found on its website.
Can someone tell me if we have to pay the harbour dues when competing in the open? The online booking adds it to the entry fee but I dont think it is mentioned on the paper entry form. Do we have to pay for boat parking at Shadycombe as well?
Patrick Hamilton
N3502

wobbly

Be great to see you at Salcombe. There is a thriving local fleet (with and without winged rudders). We live an hour away so often camp at Higher Rew, the owners sail 12s , merlins and yawls and Malcolm is commodore so sailors are welcome and there are often a few up there. It is a drive to Batson from there though. At the club there is a dinner on the Saturday night for 12 sailors and guests . Details to follow. Will check about Batson parking fees and dues and get back to you.

Jayne Morris (Guest)

Salcombe Harbour kindly waive Harbour Dues for the Open Meeting on May 5th- 7th. However the Harbour do charge £5 per day to park your boat at Batson which is payable to the Parking Attendant in the Cabin at the Boatpark. Cars will have to be parked in the Carpark and paid for seperately.

The Chart Room has been booked for you on Saturday night for National Twelves Families & Friends. Jools is proposing a hot buffett with delicious dessert for £12.50 (Children under 12 years half price). It would be most helpful if you could let Jools know of your numbers. jools@salcombeyc.org.uk
We are all very much looking forward to seeing you here at SYC. Please enter online at Sailracer.co.uk if you haven't already done so.
Kind regards
Jayne

PS Don't forget your sunscreen!

Carbonara

Thanks for the information. I hope the weather is a bit better than last year. Didnt get much sleep with the tent blowing all over the place.

n12 Bottom Banner