National 12 - find out more...

N3227 Thriller

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 19 Jul 2007, 09:48

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3227 Thriller.  Design: Baggy Trousers, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1980
Original boat name: Triki Woo.

Tim Gatti

A lovely example of a well-maintained, cold moulded 'Baggy'. Glasgow-based since 1999 when Marcus Wheel bought her from Graham Camm's brother Geoff. In late 2003 she was bought by Brian Kelly, new to 12's and also Glasgow-based, who did a great job on re-decking, refitting and repainting the hull.  Immaculate paint-job (Sikkens paint) - looks like a spray finish but is actually brushed applied.
Collected from Glasgow last week after unrelenting pressure from my son to get something faster than a vintage boat! Looking forward to sitting 12'6" back in a blow - although hoping for something a little more gentle next weekend to try her out at Ripon Frostbite in competition with some other Northern 12's.

Tim Gatti

Had the first proper sail in 'Thriller' at the Scottish Champs at Annandale this weekend - the freezing and almost windless outings at the Ripon Frosbite in Nov/Dec last year didn't really count.  A complete change in handling characteristics from my usual vintage craft so experienced a very steep learning curve! Big learning points - when offwind and the water level rises close to deck level on the stem the phrase 'get back' really does mean get back - helm to transom and crew behind thwart ...and fast.
The word 'submarining' is very appropriate to what happens if you don't.  In one big gust the bow buried and in a second we were in dive, dive, dive mode with the whole hull disappearing under the water beneath us.  But - get it right and the bow lifts and you are planing off on a scorching reach.  Great stuff - can't wait for more

Tim Gatti

Smooth bottomed ---

orkney

Why are there so many ropes, especially the ones in the middle behind the seat? could you please explain some of them to me? thanks

n12 Bottom Banner