National 12 - find out more...

Newer sails for an older boat

Started by Interested Party, 18 Mar 2013, 10:45

« previous - next »

Interested Party

All,

I am looking for a newer set of sails for my Starfish, 'Sparkle'.  I am looking for a Dacron set, preferably with a loose foot.  I occasionally sail with the CVRDA who would rightfully penalise me if I turned up with a classic N12, with a mylar main, and do not mention the 'C' word;)

The mast I have is probably the original Proctor, with a single diamond, rather than spreaders.  This I also had hoped to replace with something slightly more modern, i.e. an alloy mast with spreaders.  However, these seem to be in short supply.

I have recently placed a wanted add for a second hand set of dacron sails but have had no response, and I have also kept an eye on ebay.  So if that option is not going to bear fruit, I can only look at the possibility of a new set.  However, having seen the prices on P&B, I am a bit taken aback  (approaching 3 x the price of the boat)

I was sent an email some time ago about sail maker who would do a resonable deal for sails for classic boats, typically,I cannot find the email though.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins <br />N12 - Planet 672 -1948 (Holt modified 500 series)<br />N12 - Spider 2523 - 1971 (Spider) <br />N12 - Sparkle 2383 - 1967 (Starfish)

n12 Bottom Banner