National 12 - find out more...

Thoughts on single-handing?

Started by alk, 24 Apr 2014, 02:07

« previous - next »

alk

Hi everyone,
I've been thinking over the possiblities of single-handing a National 12. My happiest sailing days were in an old Cheshire Cat with my brother, and I have been looking for a single-handed experience similar to 12's for a long time.
I tried, unsuccesfully, a low-rider moth - which ultimately proved too challenging. I have also read with interest about Keith Callaghan's Hadron, which looks like his vision of a single-handed Merlin. Whilst I like the general look of the resulting design, what I'd really like is a similar treatment of a '12.
I'm sure I've read on this forum before about a member who considered moving his mast foreward and ditching his jib before abandoning the idea. Not having access to any boats myself at the moment, does anyone have experience of similar? I used to do the occasional drifting race single-handed with a normal rig but in any kind of wind I'd rather just think about one sail.

Mr Big

Hi, sounds good.
You might find a single bottom boat better(lower centre of gravity,easy to move about in) to sail than a DB. Main only in strong winds and twin sail in the lighter stuff.
Come to an open meeting and have a try.
I know of one club that have single handed race on a Wed. night through - out the summer months. I think they lenghten the jib sheets.

edwillett

I find my 12's (2701, 2620 and 1833) quite easy to sail singlehandedly...just need cleats for the jib. Our club is aso quite happy for them to be sailed singlehanded...the only limitation is the wind strength.

alk

Thanks for the feedback. Best way to know is getting back in a boat and giving it a try I suppose.

n12 Bottom Banner