National 12 - find out more...

Centreboard Issues

Started by 3513SL, 14 Jun 2015, 10:02

« previous - next »

3513SL

Evening All,

On 3513 I have a rather annoying issue where the centreboard is intially very very stiff (requires helm & crew to get it down) for the first 5-10cm 'along' the centreboard case and then is very very easy to put down.
When sailing the board will stay down, or come up about 50%, but won't stay inbetween and when ashore, the board will not come fully up until the boat is resting on the trolley.
I thought it may be due to the boat being unused for 5 or so months over the winter, but as I'm using it more regularly, the problem hasn't improved. Today I had the boat on its side, and despite trying to 'raise and lower' the board, it was the same, after a good 20 minutes or so.
I took the centreboard out and cleaned the case and also the slot gaskit, but when I put the board back in, there was still no luck. The slot gaskit is in good condition and doesn't catch on the board at all.
Currently the board is out of the boat and I'd welcome any ideas on this problem!

I have a photo of the winder board and centreboard casing w/o the centreboard if that helps..
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

antony (Guest)

George,
I suspect Tom or Christian will be more use than me but:
Are there signs on the centreboard of scratches or abrasion?  Is it possible that it is very tight just for the piece of the board that is only inside the case when it is right up?
I assume you would have noticed when it was on its side if the gasket was damaged and was being pulled into the case from below?
Antony

3513SL

There are a few signs on both sides of radial scratches, from the front of the board near where the board pivots.
it is very tight for the section of the board  which is in the case when the board is up.
No damage to the slot gaskit and it isn't been pulled up with the board.
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

Tom Stewart

Hi George,
Because of the way the boats were moulded the case width will vary from top to bottom, the top being thinner. This is then compensated for by packing out the bottom of the case with Jap tape. I can't remember that boat being particularly stiff though. I would try silicone spray to start with as this is an easier solution than sanding the inside of the case or the board.

smilie

Soapy had the same problem when with got her. If the silicon spray doesn’t work I would consider giving it a gentle sand with some fine grade Water ‘n’ Dry. Really I kinda feel that you might want to thank about that anyway since once the silicon spray has worn off you will be back to square one and you don’t really want to be spraying silicon down your case regularly.

I have wonder if there something odd happening with the friction device on the front of the board?
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

3513SL

Here are some pictures..
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

3513SL

3rd picture :
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

3513SL

final one:
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

JayHaich

With those scratches your case has had some grit in it at some point.  A good clean of board and case, then smooth with wet and dry, then check for tight / loose spots.  Sand back tight spots with paper glued on a board and pack loose with jap tape or velcro (hook side) glued in.  You need board to move smoothly and stay put throughout the range, makes a big difference to ease of boat handling.

angus

George I had a similar problem with a crusader, it was virtually impossible to get the board down the first bit then it moved easily but would not come fully up unless banged fairly hard from below. The problem turned out to be the centre board lining (formica I think) coming away from the centreboard case. It was towards the rear of the centreboard case so it only affected the first bit of movement. 
I would look at the rear of the case, possibly some packing has come away and folded over or something like that. 
For those of you that remember this was the boat with the go faster gunnels with works in.....never when as fast after Bernard ripped a section off!
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner