National 12 - find out more...

Birkett  and Sunderland anyone

Started by Will Mitchell, 23 Jun 2015, 11:05

« previous - next »

Will Mitchell

Any Northern 12's planning on doing the birkett this year? Lois and I will be going and I can double stack your boat back to Sunderland for the following weekend. The notice of race will be up later this week. If you could let me know if you plan on coming to Sunderland then it will help us to make sure that the catering is sorted.

simon moss

Tom and I plan to be there in N3331 family coming as well .

angus

I plan to be there. I think I have asked you before but can you find me a crew please Will. Is there anything happening Saturday night. I may camp Saturday night if there is.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

edwillett

I would like to come to Sunderland Will, but unfortunately my regular "Travellers" crew is AWOL this year so my attendance is also contingent upon finding a crew.

Mark (Guest)

Hi Will, any information on the event, number of races, start times, etc?
Thanks
Mark

Carbonara

I am sailing in the Birkett the weekend after next so with Will and Lois there will be 2 Twelves in attendance. Anyone else fancy a sail on Ullswater? Like Angus and Ed I havent sorted a crew for Sunderland but would be happy to team up if crews cant be found.
Patrick
N3502

Will Mitchell

Hi guys, thanks for the positive response so far. The Sunderland meeting will consist of 3 races. 1 before lunch and 2 in the afternoon. I have the NOR to put up here if someone can tell me how to do it ? I'm currently busy tring to sort out crews for you guys and I'll be back in touch as the week goes on. As for the Birkett, come on guys. Even if your sailing a classic it would be brilliant to have our own fleet. We only need 6 boats for this to happen.

Chadders

Hi Will sorry not at Ullswater as we are on holiday next week elsewhere but can make it to Sunderland with my vintage boat as long as it's a vintage  friendly forecast that is.  Crew organised, who else is coming out to play And what time is the first race/briefing etc.8)

PD

I'm coming in N3499 with Caroline, but a start time would be useful!
Philip

Will Mitchell

rightio, I've had lots of emails regarding the proceedings at Sunderland this coming weekend. I apologise for the lack of contact. (I currently have no broadband...Thanks BT! and as such, uploading things like the NOR has proven to be a bit tricky. I have now emailed the webmaster and asked them to upload it on my behalf. But in the meantime I'll explain things as best I can.
Arrive between 8.30-10.30
3 races, 1 in the morning then lunch and 2 in the afternoon.
Briefing 11.00
First race 11.40
Sunderland is a large clubhouse with a big galley so food is no problem.
Directions to the club can be found on google maps. Just type "Sunderland Yacht Club" when coming from the south  I tend to use the A19 and get off at the second sign for Seaham, there is a brown sign on the side of the A19 that says "Fun Shack" this is a good indicator that you need to come off here. I then follow the coast road that leads to the wearmouth bridge be warned, there are many roundabouts but just keep going until you come to the roundabout by the bridge, turn right onto the bridge and stay in the right hand lane. This will then feed you into the one way system that makes you turn right shortly after the bridge. You then need to be in the middle lane after you've turned right and then carry on to the next set of lights to another set 100 yes further. The road now splits to the left, and to the right. If you are in the middle lane you will now be in the right place to follow the road to the right. Carry on for 200 yes and you can now turn left towards roker. Follow the brown signs that say Roker beach and you will continue going straight for half a mile. The road will then bend to the left to begin the promenade. At this point turn to the right down the hill and follow the hill to he bottom. Turn right and then continue along the road that runs alongside the carp ark. The club will now be right in front of you. 
If you are approaching from the A1 then just follow the signs for Sunderland and the National Glass Centre. This route will bring you in on the dual carriageway that leads to the A19 and then crosses it. The are many roundabouts on this route as well, but keep going and you will eventually pass the stadium and then find yourself at a big set of lights. You need to carry straight on and then get in the middle  lane. Now follow the signs for the glass centre and the instructions listed above as you are now in the same place as others that have turned right after the bridge.
If you are arriving from the north, use the A1 and follow the same directions as listed above, but if you are using the A19 then you need to come off at what is known as "Testo's" roundabout. This is the first big junction southbound after the Tyne tunnel. It will be signed "Sundeland & Boldon" just follow this road straight on for about 6 miles. It will take you past the dog track and up to a roundabout. If you go slightly right at the roundabout then straight on through the lights, then you will soon come to a big tes I on your left. You need to keep going for another hundred yards until you are forced to turn left. Now get in the middle lane and follow the signs as listed above for the glass centre and Roker beach.
if anyone needs any further info please feel free to email me :- williamitchell@hotmail.co.uk
or give me a ring on 07855 741480
if anyone wishes to camp there is no problem (I think the club charges £5) and we have no shortage of places to eat and drink at on Saturday night. Let me know what your thinking and we'll try and accommodate you.
for those looking for crews I'll be in touch again in the next couple of days. The long range forecast is looking great.
will

Chadders

What a great event this was wind, sun and brilliant venue, course and food.  Many thanks to Will and all the team at Sunderland for organising a perfect day and close racing through the fleet.  Please can we come back again next year!  
Big apology to Will for T boning you on the start line, I await the bill in due course and apologies to anyone close whose ears may have been adversley affected by the deafening crash, Starfish bow v Big Issue gunwhale = big dint in Big Issue.  Sorry. :o8)

simon moss

See if this link works sorry for quality technical issues!
https://www.facebook.com/simon.moss.587/posts/10153142742373752

Brilliant day out

Will Mitchell

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Full report and pictures should be up by tomorrow night. It might take the webmaster a day or 2 to publish it so if you don't find it here then keep an eye on yachts and yachting. Hope to see you all again next year. Please feel free to let me know which bits you liked and also anything that you didn't. I'd also be interested to know if there would be any interest in a 2 day event with a beach barbecue or some other form of social function on the Saturday night?

n12 Bottom Banner