National 12 - find out more...

N1833 Water Nymph

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 13 Mar 2007, 01:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1833 Water Nymph. Design: Mark 9, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1959
Previous boat names: Water Nymph, Wood Nymph, prior to reverting to Water Nymph.

edwillett

Owned by my father in the late 60's and early 70's and in which I crewed for him in many races and open meetings. Waternymph was rescued by me from sure death at Llangorse SC in South wales in the late 80"s where she was found abandoned lying in the grass with much rot apparent. Reborn at Tamesis Club following extensive work and enjoyed a couple of years sailing on the Thames at Tamesis and Ranelagh. Following my move to Scotland she enjoyed a few outings and cruises on the Forth and was raced at Strathclyde Loch SC in 1994 where I taught my wife to sail and where we placed 2nd in the Club Championship despite having to sail off a modern handicap! She has now been idle now since then. Currently sitting on the trailer in my garden awaiting some of my time and attention.....

Claim to fame -quote from Robin Steavenson's "Story of the National Twelves" -

"Perhaps the best performance on record of the IX is during the practice for the 1961 Burton Week when in a light steady wind the fleet was led by Geoffrey Coop's IX, Water Nymph and my Witch Hunter for the first round. Then John Oakeley in his X, Ad Lib, came through on the beat, but on the run home Witch-Hunter came up from 10 seconds astern to finish about a minute ahead,...Geoffrey's Water Nymph was a close third".

edwillett

Here is a picture of my father and I sailing Waternymph at Llyn Aled SC in 1970. I am 8!

edwillett

After languishing in garden and garage since the mid 90's Waternymph is now with Brian Herring where she will undergo a complete restoration, refit and modernisation and will be back sailing again in 2009! Can't wait!

edwillett

The work on WaterNymph has been progressing well. Brian has been recording the restoration of Water Nymph with photographs and I post a selection here to document progress for those interested.
Here are some internal views - decks off and centreboard case out to repair rot in the hog and keel. A new centreboard case with wooden plate will go in to replace the old heavy alloy plate.

edwillett

Here are some internal and external views of the rot in the hog, with the keel now also removed

edwillett

With everything stripped out Brian weighed the hull - 63kg - not a bad place to start from for a 50 year old boat!

edwillett

Here are some views of the damaged areas cut out ready for the repair and rebuild to start

edwillett

Here is the new hog and keel going in

edwillett

Hull exterior being cleaned up and new centreboard slot and bailer cutaways

edwillett

Another internal shot showing bailer cutaways and sidebench supports renoved

edwillett

More pics to follow as progress continues. A new suit of Alverbanks is on order to do the rejuvenated hull justice...and be her first suit of new sails (not hand-me-downs) since the early 60's suit of Windward sails she still has! My children are excited by the thought of sailing the boat their grand-father used to sail in! The question is what Club shall we base her at...?

edwillett

Here are some pictures of my father and I sailing WaterNymph in 1972/1973 at Llyn Aled SC high on the Denbigh Moors. The pictures are not the best but I think nicely capture the atmosphere of Llyn Aled  in th early 70's. Sadly the Club is no more!

edwillett

edwillett

n12 Bottom Banner