National 12 - find out more...

N2632 Dinsdale

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 28 Mar 2007, 07:00

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2632 Dinsdale. Design: China Doll, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1967

JohnMurrell

Built in 1972 by Brian Rowsell and was sailed by Chris Gillard with some sucess in the Thames Area and at Salcombe Week

Didsdale was bought off eBay in January 2007 by John Murrell and is in need of a bit of TLC. New decks and c/board case to start with! Overall the hull hasn't suffered too badly over the years.

A photographic diary will be kept of the rejuvenation.

STU W

Owned by Sue Pelling at one time. Crewed for Sue in it 1986 Burton Week at Exemouth.
Then went to Earlswood Lakes SC.
12's are for life not just for christmas.

JohnMurrell

believed to have been owned through the years by:
1972 - 1974 Stuart Westaway
1975 - 1977 Chris Gillard
1978 - 1984 Andy Dove
1985 B Tipping
1986 Sue Pelling
1987 P J Spicer
1988 - 1991 Not Known
1992 - 2005 J Peason
2006 Steve Couch
2007 John Murrell

Thanks to Michael Brookman, Stu W and other who have helped fill in holes and find the story so far!

ken goddard

The owner of this boat between 1992 - 2005 was John Pearson (not as spelt in the list above). He was a member of Earlswood Lakes S.C. and sailed in one or two of the Vintage Twelve Open Meetings which were sailed there. When I last saw the boat in the 2000's it was in excellent condition. I understand that John moved to the West Country.
Ken Goddard, N.2300.

Paul Pelling

I was very interested to read the discussion. Could I add that I owned Dinsdale from 1979 to 1981. My first National 12. I was still a teenager! A beautiful boat in immaculate condition. I sold her to Barry Tipping in 1981 but she came back into our family in 1984. My sister, Sue Pelling sailed her from 1984 until 1987. Very pleased to hear that she is back in loving hands. When we owned her she was red and had lovely sapele decks, with contrasting sycamore gunwhales.

JohnMurrell

So here we go.....

Firstly I can't believe that it's over 7 years ago that I bought Dinsdale on e-bay. My initial intention was to get the boat back on the water quite quickley and enjoy some Tweleve sailing again but.......................

Whilst the hull had stood the test of time regrettably not much else had! The decks were shot, those lovely sycamore gunwhales had been replaced at some time with ash ones, the plate box had rotted, the foils - well I won't go there.

So the cunning plan was to strip Dinsdale back to basics and start again. The strip out went well, all the old fittings went to ebay, a Winder c/board purchased from Meds and then 2 knee replacements got in the way so in my garage Dinsdale languished gathering dust for 5 years.

And then after badgering from 'er in doors who shall always be obeyed (Mr Turner, does this sound familiar?) who suggested that a viking funeral was the way to clear the garage I realised that time and will had left me behind, but not all was lost, for some reason Kevin Driver took pity on Dinsdale and last November the boat went on an extended holiday to the east Devon resort of Seaton. Kev has now finished his winter work of building Grads, Solo's etc and Dinsdale has taken up residence in his workshop.

Hopefully the rebuild will be finished by the end of the month when I will get back a bit of bespoke furniture but in the mean time here are some pictures of the work in progress.

JohnMurrell

More photos from Dinsdale's holiday sunny Seaton................................

JohnMurrell

Work is progressing well........................................................

Back to sapele decks, sycamore gunwales and a more modern look to the transom

JohnMurrell

Kevin's doing a brilliant job and it looks like Dinsdale will be coming back from holiday very soon.............................

Now here comes a thought - with a name like Dinsdale should the boat be a she or he?

angus

The only Dinsdale I know is one of the Piranna brothers the other being Norman, or was he the giant hedgehog who was after Dinsdale.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

JohnMurrell

And now the varnish is going on - 6 coats of 2 pack and we will go from there....................................

JohnMurrell

almost there...............................

It's amazing what 4 weeks has done.

JohnMurrell

JohnMurrell

We have found this picture of Dinsdale in 1975 or 76. Definately Salcombe, and the Fairway bouys were then too!!

n12 Bottom Banner