National 12 - find out more...

N2632 Dinsdale

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 28 Mar 2007, 07:00

« previous - next »

JohnMurrell

that’s almost done………………

Dinsdale is, with one or two very minor adjustments, ready to sail again!

So what has happened to the boat?  Well apart from the obvious rebuild of the interior and new decks, the plate slot has been widened to take a Winder Foolish plate that rotates around a captive bolt so no visible pivot point. The mast sits in a Merlin style mast step on a P&B mast plate with all the blocks attached to that. There is a dangly pole, the jib sheeting angles have been tightened with new stringers and track and ratchet blocks attached to that â€" the sheeting angle is approximately the same as a DCB â€" and the sheets lead up and through the side deck, again Merlin style.

I still had the original Rowsell rudder and stock but in very poor condition, so whilst the boat was on holiday in Seaton I broke it down into it’s component parts (actually it fell apart!), stripped all the old varnish and paint off, faired it and epoxied it all back together again. Also I have a Winder carbon stock with a suitably profiled blade.

All the controls are lead to the thwart and there is a split end main sheet. I have worked a way to fit lowers but a trip to Seaton will be needed to have a small modification done.

As I want to be able to sail in vintage and CVDRA events I have a choice of rigging. Either way the mast is a Proctor Alpha minus (hands up who remembers those!) but I have a tin Superspars boom as well as a carbon one; 5 minutes to change from one to the other! The sails are white of P&B Talbot Rd vintage with little use and first measured in May 2014(!)

To keep the inside tidy there are buoyancy bag covers, a tale in itself. The transom flaps, modern plastics with Kevlar sail repair tape as hinges.

n12 Bottom Banner