National 12 - find out more...

Dangly pole rigging

Started by Sylvester, 19 Feb 2018, 02:25

« previous - next »

Sylvester

Sylvester 3913 now in dinghy park and I am checking string. Dangly pole appears to be rigged differently to the diagrams. The end is shackled to the clew and leach is tensioned via two separate lines from the top of the pole through individual eyes positioned each side of the slide line at is bottom and out to single roller cleats just aft off the shrouds.
Total new to twelves so could I ask:

1. Is this a recognized and efficient system.

2. Is it not a disadvantage in up wind to have the pole permanently fixed to the jib.

Many thanks.

angus

I prefer the poled  tied to the clue of the jib, simpler system with less moving parts. I don't think there is any disadvantage up wind and the pole doesn't flap about as much. But I am not the fastest cookie in the jar! I have never met a system with two down hauls normally there is a single one to round about the mast at deck level, but don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Johnm

Back in the mid 90s Middle Nene SC was a hotbed of jib stick development out of which the current standard system then emerged.  I don't remember one with two strings but there were a number of ways of doing it.

We all wondered whether windage would be an issue and many early systems had a way of velcroing the stick to the mast to stop it flapping around in the slot. 

From experience it has not ever been possible to measure a loss from having the pole in the slot.  In breeze it blows aft and not much of the stick ends up sitting (if any) in the crucial part of the slot where the jib overlaps the main.  The flowing benefit far outweighs any loss.

John

Sylvester

Thankyou for the comments, will try as is for now. I will have to look at placement of controls in general at some point as I am likely be solo most of the time. This can wait as I am itching to get out in it.

Overomtimistix

That sounds similar to what I came on my 12. There's a line running through the pole that's attached at the clew and runs over a block on the mast. Two lines are attached to this with one going to each side. It means that it can be pulled down from either side without leaning into the boat. Both sides need to be let off for the pole to fully retract.

n12 Bottom Banner