National 12 - find out more...

N1183 Tessa

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 16 Mar 2007, 12:04

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1183 Tessa. Design: Mark 2, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1952

Tim Gatti

Although the Mark 2 design was used to produce the first glued clinker National 12 hull (N1153 Wichcraft) for Robin Steavenson, there was some lengthy debate at the RYA, and uncertainty about the viability of the project, at the time.  Consequently, ribbed versions of the design continued to be built for some time after Wichcraft's completion. 
'Tessa' - built is 1953 and currently owned by Andrew Dawson, therefore marks the end of an era in N12 construction and was probably one of the last ribbed 12's to be built. (Attached photos are from a colour photocopy that Andrew sent to me recently)

Tim Gatti

Tim Gatti

I should have said that 'Witchcraft' N1153 was the first 'production' glued clinker N12 hull, as there were other experiments with this type of hull construction prior to 1952.  Robin Steavenson went on to win the Burton Cup in her in 1953.

Tim Gatti

Collected 'Tessa' from Andrew Dawson in Sheringham on Easter Sunday - thanks due to Howard and Sarah Chadwick for transport, Ann (Andrew's partner) for a lovely lunch, and to Polly - Sarah's dog, for an entertaining frolic on the beach!  She's in good condition but will need some work on the decks, planking and keel to get her ready for the Ribbed Boat Racing event on 31 May at Yeadon. 

Tim Gatti

Some more pics of ' before' - watch this space...

Tim Gatti

Jetwashed the interior (low pressure!) to remove all the gunk  and accumulated dust and dirt and washed out the skeletal remains of five tiny feet from in under the foredeck,.  Andrew had said they had found a rabbit's skull there when he picked up the boat from her original owner two years before. We think the 'Tessa' may have been used as a quiet retreat for the owner's cat to dine on it's latest catch. Ever seen a rat with five feet?  Mind you anything's possible in Essex.

The third plank on each side is suffering from  longitudinal cracks at the overlap between the rivets - but no sign of damage on the outside, so a good rake out and an infill of epoxy should sort it.  Decks are in a sorry state and the timbers have opened up a bit - particularly the fore and aft end of the keel, but nothing a bit of TLC won't put right.  Unfortunately, her original wooden mast is no more so she'll be rigged with a deck-stepped early metal Proctor spar complete with shrouds and diamonds - roughly in keeping with the period.  A galvanised plate and a surprisingly light, swept back, fixed rudder came with the boat and Andrew donated a wooden boom and an old suit of sails.  Let's go sailing!

Tim Gatti

Between the rain showers succeeded in removing most of the weathered varnish from the decks before getting Tessa into the workshop late on Fri night.  At least the worst of the mess was outside.
On close inspection found that most of the brass screw heads had corroded and softened the surrounding timber so set about dis-assembly and replacement.  200+ screws later and I had a Chippendale Mark 2 kit!
All fittings worth salvaging now getting their crud removed in a tub of white vinegar- see before pic of bronze shroud channel adjusters and drop-nose pins c1953. The rusty sheave blocks from the centre-plate system are destined for the scrap bin. 
Next job is to deal with some unsightly discolouration on the weathered decks that's too deep to sand out.

Tim Gatti

Got to work with some 40 and 60 grit on my half sheet sander and after an hour of very noisy sanding the decks are now looking much improved. Will finish them off with 120 tonight.  Vinegar bath worked its magic and brass work is now ready for a polish up.  The extent of the degradation of the varnish and timber around the screw-heads is something I've not come across before and after cleaning them up I'll probably seal them with clear epoxy before replacing the screws. Realised why both third planks show some cracking along the rivet line.  Planks were cut in pairs by splitting down the length of a thicker piece of timber so the planks on the port side are mirror images of those on starboard - presumably this helped to equalise the shrinkage and stresses exerted by the timber on each side of the hull.  The No 3 planks must have been prone to some later shrinkage on their top edges after they were rivetted in place.

Tim Gatti

Decking looking nearly new and all the screws have scrubbed up well - time to get the varnish brush and screwdriver out. Then it will be time to give the hull some tlc

Tim Gatti

Apart from the odd patch I'm pleased to say the decks have come up looking pretty good after two coats of low viscosity epoxy

Tim Gatti

Help! I'm running low on midnight oil and can't source a reliable supplier.  Gunwhales back on, thwart, knees and centreboard case capping re-instated after sundry repairs and half the hull and the transom stripped back to bare wood.  Haven't got time to weigh the scrapings.  Thanks to Brian Herring for bringing wires and bottlescrews for the diamonds and some suitable vintage tufnol jib tracks and fairleads to Ripon on Saturday.  Burton in 4 days time and Tessa needs to be ready for re-launch after full varnish and re-fit by the following weekend.  No pressure!

Tim Gatti

Hull stripped, repaired and sanded but not before my faithful Bosch palm sander gave up the ghost.  The first coat of Deks Olje went on last night.  What a nice clean, shiny bottom.

Tim Gatti

Got her all but finished but then had problems sorting her mast ,so she didn't get out of the workshop on Sunday. 
Will now take the time to put some self bailers in and add a couple more coats of Deks Olje to the hull which might help to plug some of the gaps in the planking, hopefully reducing slightly the need for the self bailers.
Hopefully she will be sailing at the next Ribbed 12 event on July 19th

Tim Gatti

And one more for good measure...

n12 Bottom Banner