National 12 - find out more...

Dekeeling

Started by Lukepiewalker, 14 Jun 2005, 09:14

« previous - next »

Lukepiewalker

Anyone know details of complexity/cost of dekeeling a fibreglass hull? Presumably a refisnish would be in order afterwards? I'm suspecting a professional job...

Roger_A_Brisley

Philip (Guest)

I had mine de-keled by Mike Saul - though he afterwards said that he would not do another! (He may have forgotten that now.) It did not save much weight, but it transformed the handling of the boat (a baggy). It was much better tacking in light airs in particular.

It depends on your type of sailing. If you do much inland (which I suspect you might if you have an older boat with keels) then I would say it was definitely worth the trouble and expense. But if you are looking to upgrade your boat in a year or two, then maybe not.

Regarding cost - a few hundred pounds is my recollection. Complexity, not very difficult just extremely messy - I think Mike used an angle grinder. It probably depends on the original contruction,so speak to the builder first!

Philip
N3217

Roly Mo

Philip,
I don't think Mike will be very happy that you thought he used an angle grinder on your boat, more likely an electric plane.  I agree with you the weight saving is minimal but it transforms the tacking.  I know after 3395? was de-kelled the owner said it made a huge difference to the tacking.

Bernard

MikeDay

Watch out if you're panning to de-keel for the impact on the centreboard position.  It may need to be raised - requiring a new bolt hole and maybe alterations to the case as well.

Mike D
N3496

Lukepiewalker

Well my one's the same as Phils, so it sounds possible....

Lukepiewalker

Although I am willing to sell if anyone is interested...

n12 Bottom Banner