National 12 - find out more...

Portsmouth Yardstick Numbers

Started by wol, 08 Aug 2005, 05:03

« previous - next »

wol

Help Please

Having stealthily acquired a Paper Dart I hope to spend the coming weekend drifting around the southern part of CardiganBay with grandchild crewing at Newquay Regatta. Only two dinghy classes there - High and Low performance with a PY cut off rate of 1150.

Could anyone not too busy rushing around at the north end of the bay tell me a fair number for a Paper Dart?  Surely it can't be a lot better than a Firefly which I see is 1162.

Pertinent suggestions most welcome.

DW

Kevin

Recommended PY numbers are on page 10 of the current handbook booklet.

Kevin

Ian (Guest)

If someone has them to hand, please could the suggested handicap numbers be reproduced here

Thanks

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Bernard Clark has given a good reply to this query and as a later respondent has pointed out, the numbers are on Page 10 of the handbook. A Paper Dart is likely to be in the range for 1970 to 1980, ie, a PY number of 1130. Let me also re-iterate that these other handicaps are for club racing and have to be confirmed for use by a club's sailing committee - they are not automatic. As Bernard says you will have to argue this out with the club concerned.
Regards
Ken Goddard
N.2300

RogerBrisley

Ive managed to persuade my sailing committee to accept a "page 10" handicap for my Design 8..  As i'm sailing against RS?00's GP14's and Albacores I think this is reasonably fair as Im unlikely to plane down wind never mind upwind (unlike fellow member Mark "its only an illusion" Simpson).   However getting the Race office to  actually use the higher PY is I suspect difficult.

Roger

Ian (Guest)

Thanks for the "helpful" replies!! Are these numbers a National 12 secret or would someone be kind enough to reproduce them here

John Murrell (Guest)

Ian - so secret that even James Bond isn't aware of them!

I will only say this once, and please destroy when you have read them!!!

N1 - 1599           1170
N1600 - 2511     1145
N2512 - 3140     1130
N3141 - 3271     1115
N3272 - 3410     1104
N3411+              1093

sush, I can see 'Moneypenny' coming! woops, didn't mean that, but I think you know what I mean..

Ian (Guest)

Antony (Guest)

I think that the earlier point was that these numbers are not secret to members of the NTOA.  As some people did not seem to have access to the handbook, one can only assume that they are not members and wish to take advantage of the associations work for free.

Antony

John Murrell (Guest)

Antony,

in the same way as most people are NOT members of RYA but still use their information?

Surely we should be doing everything as an association to promote the class not put people off.

antony (Guest)

John,
I don't disagree, but the other writers did not seem to understand the point so I thought I would clarify it for them.

A

Matt (Guest)

whilst perhaps not entirely relevant. The reason why I am not a member of the RYA is that they have choosen to accept sponsorship from Volvo in the form of multiple estate V70's in order that they can provide themselves with opulent personal transportation. I fail to see how that advances the interests of sailors - like perhaps an equivalent injection of cash to the RYA coffers whould have done.

If there is a lesson ( and there probably isn't ) I guess its that associations need to be friendly, open and act in the interest of all  their constituents if they are to encourage membership.

Sorry that was one of my old style unsupportable rants. Feel free to ignore. Its just that I've been undertaken by those b88888ds on the M27 at rush hour way too many times. And I'm not a member of the NTOA either and the NTOA are lovely.

n12 Bottom Banner