National 12 - find out more...

Mast ram for Tigress (N3130)

Started by Jimbo41, 23 Nov 2005, 08:43

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Anyone know what sort of mast ram I can fit to a tigress and where I might get one? At the moment I'm making do with a shaped wedge forward to the mast. Any info gratefully received.   :)

Driller killer (Guest)

Jimbo41

Thanks Driller.
I think my foredeck is strong enough to take the pressure. The question is, is my forehead...?  ;D
Jim

MikeDay

Just a thought - are you using lowers?  They're rather more important for controlling the mast shape than an adjustable ram, which can be replaced by a wooden wedge or block without any great loss of speed.

Mike D
N3496

Jimbo41

Mike,  
I am using a wooden block, shaped to the mast, in order to place the mast in the correct postion for light winds, since there is not much chance of overpowering the sail.  I have lowers, but they appear to be too long for their "screw tensioners" to have much effect. At the moment they just hang there, like spare shrouds at a wedding. Perhaps under the conditions prevailing I won't need them anyway and I should always keep the rig adjusted for full power i.e. minimum rake and prebend. It's my first full season next year, so at the moment i'm tweeking and tuning in my head whilst Nutty Shell's out of the water.  

Jim.

MikeDay

Hmmm - sounds like you could do some tweaking to the lowers to make them adjustable - pull on and straighten the mast for offwind, release to allow the mast to bend upwind is the theory.  You need some non-stretch spectra or equivalent and some blocks to rig the lowers up.  The tuning guides on the website are written by more intelligent people than me and describe what should happen.  However, there's lots of other basic stuff to practice first, including getting the kicker right, so I wouldn't worry too much for the time being.

Mike D
N3496

Jimbo41

Mike, thanks very much for your advice. The basics will be practiced next season, after the freeze, which lasts until March.
Jim
N3130.

Jimbo42

Mike!

Have a chock up before the mast, so not much rake there. I think the slack washing line (OOPS! lowers) were never having an effect.... Have sent you a message to hotmail.

All the best,

Jim (Jimbo41) N3130

n12 Bottom Banner