National 12 - find out more...

buoyancy

Started by JODA, 12 Mar 2006, 09:19

« previous - next »

JODA

Keep tripping over the buoyancy bags (36x12"), guess I need to get more forward.

But this raised a question for me.

How do you calculate the required size, and can I reduce the size of the bags, since replacements are required?

Thanks

dave

Roly Mo

David W (Guest)

In the days when I had buoyancy bags they were always 36''x12 '' and seemed to work fine. I don't think you could get away with anything smaller.

Happy floating!

David

ratbag

I need buoyancy bags for my Proctor Mk 6 No 1426. How many 36"X12" needed? Suggest supplier? Currently using borrowed ones from a dayboat. Kept afloat during a recent tip but they grab a lot of floor space.

DavidW

2 bags as far back as you can get them - I trust that you have built in buoyancy under the foredeck otherwise you'll need one of those big triangular ones in the front. I found Crewsaver bags to be the most durable - the Holt alternatives seemed prone to splitting on the seams, but that was long ago - they may have  improved.

It is very important that  bags are well secured if you're thinking of sailing in rough water. There needs to be a strap to stop them popping out of the ends of any straps wrapped round them.

Good luck

David
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

ratbag

Thanks for that. No built-in buoyancy so it's 2 at the back and a triangular up front. I heard a rumour that Crewsaver are stopping the triangular ones so they need to be snapped up. Must get shopping.

n12 Bottom Banner