National 12 - find out more...

vintage v gill

Started by Paul Turner N2487/3500 (Guest), 21 Feb 2006, 12:28

« previous - next »

Paul Turner N2487/3500 (Guest)

Having bought a new boat with every intention of competing in the GILL series this year (to improve on my 69th in 2005!) I had also hoped to sail all the vintage events as usual. However, when I received the 2006 calendar I noted that there were a few clashes of dates. I fully realise that it must be a huge exercise to get all the dates sorted, arranged and collated and that there are bound to be a few double bookings (such as Earlswood - NWNW, and Yorkshire Ouse - Royal Harwich) because there are not enough weekends (!) and some events are arranged by 3rd parties.

However (serious conflict of interest time!) do I sail the China Doll at the 70th event at Pitsford (for the vintage series) or N3500 in the GILL series? I suspect that I am not alone with this dilema, am I, Brain Kitching or Howard Chadders? Which will promote the class the most? Will there be a transfer of points so that to sail in one will qualify as a score in the other as well? And another thought - If we are encouraging old boats to sail at the Burton this year......

Spellowranger

Paul,
The obvious answer is to ensure both vessels get an outing by inviting a trusted helm to pilot whichever one you aren't!  ahh... the problems of multiple boat ownership!

Regards
Peter
N3239

grazz

Paul, how about sailing in three series over the 70th anniversary weekend.
1. Sail the China Doll on the Saturday (you only need one day to qualify for the vintage)
2. Sail N3500 on the Sunday to get 2 Gill series races
3. Sail either in the grand pursuit race on the Monday (I would go for the Doll and show everyone how it should be done)

And if you're cunning both of your boats could enter for the junior races on the Saturday evening

How's that for an action packed weekend?

Your boats should love it

Graham

Howard Chadwick (Guest)

What a problem ? !  As the Chadders referred to in Pauls initial comments I can confirm I have same dilemma.  My current plan is to sail my Starfish with "she who must be obeyed" and hope that the Gill points (if any) will tot up along side any others I may get in Radical Edward.  Then again if it is forecast to blow who knows I may bring Radical?  But then again if I got my finger out N2 could make it?  As Peter C says what a dilemma.

Roly Mo

Howard (we could never presume to call you 'Chadders' old fruit)

With so many boats perhaps you really should have a 'Marina'!

Team Roly Mo

Kevin

Hopefully the following will clarify a few of the points raised ....... although it may just make things more complicated instead!

Gill series points are awarded to the individual helmsman. It is therefore possible to sail a double bottomed boat in two events and an Admiral's Cupper in two others and still qualify for the overall series. However, you will not qualify for the overall AC section unless you do 4 events in an AC boat.

The 70th event at Northampton is a bit more complicated as apparently the vintage boats don't fancy starting with the rest of the fleet and the plan currently is to have them set off 5 minutes later. (Presumably this is because they think it will be light and they can afford to give the new boats a head start but still win). Apparently the Saturday and Sunday will each count as a separate event for vintage boats. There may even be talk of differnt courses but I am a bit vague on that, perhaps Ken G can refresh my memory? If vintage sailors don't like any of this, I suggest they make their opinions known so alternatives can be considered in order to satisy everyone (I am an eternal optimist!).

If you have a 4-planker please let your views be known. Currently the thinking is for you to sail alongside the vintage fleet but this is very much undecided.

Regardless of all that, the Admiral's Cup and Double bottom boats will sail together with both weekend days counting as one Gill series event.

The Monday will be a stand alone event for everyone.

There, now you really are all confused aren't you?!

Kevin

Richard

Kevin
If it makes it easier pehaps we should all start  together as a number of Gill Series racers also have V12's. It would be ashame if some  V12's did not race because of the importance of scoreing points in the Gill event.
Regards
Richard
N2134    :)

Howard C (Guest)

angus

For what its worth I think I'd rather start with the big boys although I wouldn't object to a 5 minute start if you want to give me one.
mines a 4 planker by the way.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Ken Goddard (Guest)

I regret that I had not looked at this discussion topic for a while and appreciate the interesting comments which have recently been made. My prposal for the Vintage fleet having separate starts and maybe saparate courses was to try to give the Vintage fleet a sense of 'togetherness' and to avoid relatively slow old boats being wiped out by the much faster and far more numerous 'fast boys' and being lapped several times. By structuring this memorable meeting in the way proposed I am hoping to attract rarely seen owners of Vintage boats and nervous DIY restorers of historic hulks to peep out of their dens and come and create a really big turnout.

I am pretty strong about having one of the days - Sunday preferred - as a day for handicap racing as it gives the mormally back markers a possible glimpse of the silverware. It is a formula which has worked quite well in the past.

As for starting altogether at the same time, I somehow feel that the cut-throat fast boys will not much like their perfect start messed up by a clumsy pensioner like me!

The sailing format has not yet been sealed up and I am keen to hear of more views on this subject. I am also anxious to know how many are wanting to use their vintage and only boat in qualifying for the Gill Series and how many have Paul's problem of having both a clinker boat and a new-fangled
speedster

Regards
Ken Goddard
N.2300
Vintage Wing Representative  

philipcosson

not long now...

please i only have one boat...
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

DavidW

As someone with a newish boat I would be very pleased to see the whole fleet start together - pensioners or not.

David
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Kevin

Ken,

I am not sure if you were referring to the boat or the sailor but you don't have to have a "clumsy pensioner" to mess up someone else's start, I have managed it often enough and don't consider myself to be in either category quite yet.

Regarding being lapped: all Gill series events allow for a Grand Prix finish, i.e. each boat finishes when she next crosses the line regardless of the lap being sailed. This is designed to eliminate anyone having to be on the water for significantly longer than the winner.

As regards the silverware: there will be prizes for each section of the fleet: Double Bottom, Admiral's Cup, 4-plank, and Vintage. If say the vintage wing wanted to determine their results using handicaps then that should be possible. Finally, don't forget that Monday's racing will be a pursuit.

Kevin

n12 Bottom Banner