National 12 - find out more...

Not for the faint-hearted......

Started by Jimbo41, 01 Mar 2006, 10:01

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Hi folks!

If the lake's frozen over, how do you pass the time?
Answer: go ice sailing! Yesterday I managed 60 Knots in a DN (Detroit News 5 Sqm sail on 3 runners, carbon mast and boom) on a broad reach of 1.5 Km. ..... Amazing!!! Ok. it's not the same as sailing, but it is fun...You don't notice how fast you are going until you check the GPS.... ;D

To see what our lake looks like go here:

http://www.bsv-ammersee.com/webcam.htm

Jim N3130

Tim L (Guest)

Sounds cool Jim, always wanted to have a go at ice and land yachting.

Presently in La Rochelle - yesterday, a chilly wednesday afternoon, I counted more than 70 boats out.  All were racing boats, from Oppys through Radials, 420s, 470s, an assortment of cats, sailboards, mini 6.50s and the new Figaro 2s, but none were racing - just practicing hard!  Pretty cool.

Tim

Jimbo41

Must be great to be out on open water. I can't wait to get Nutty Shell back out there...  ::)

Are you based in the U.K. Tim, or have you decided to leave "perfide Albion" for somewhere more napoleonic?

Jim N3130

Tim L (Guest)

Well, technically I'm based in Aberdeen for this year, but La Rochelle (and the rest of my bimbling along the Atlantic coast of france and spain over the past few weeks) was a bit of research for next year when I can pretty much live wherever in europe... :)  La Rochelle looks pretty attractive (despite the rain...)

T

Jimbo41

Tim, I can recommend the area a little North of La Rochelle,  Dept. Loire Atlantique. Our village of Mammendorf in Germany is twinned with Brem sur Mer, a tiny picturesque village on this stretch of coast, which is a real challenge to many an experienced sailor....

Jim N3130.

n12 Bottom Banner